Android tethering

exec4

Hello,

I really liked I could just connect my android phone, enable usb tethering, and use it as internet with my nano.
On my MKVII, I can enable it on the phone, but according to dmesg and ip link, no device is being created.

Are there any plans to implement that in the near future?

Thank you

Kali NetHunter has some support for WiFi pineapples in their app, but NetHunter is a bit of a drastic modification to make on a primary Android phone. NetHunter was never intended to be used as a “daily driver”. It is mostly stable, but between the replacement kernel, and other such software, they make no guarantees on stability. That said, I have had very few problems with it.

Let me be clear, though: if you plan to install NetHunter for the sole purpose of connecting your pineapple, you’re probably looking at a week-long headache for your efforts. In my humble opinion, it’s probably not worth a full NetHunter install. Also, a full install of NetHunter isn’t really supported on most models of Android phone. That said, you MIGHT be able to install just the main NetHunter app, just to try and use the Pineapple connector feature - that particular feature may or may not require the rest of the NetHunter framework. That said, if you have an old OnePlus or Nexus 5/6 series phone laying around, and you’re feeling adventurous, or you’re learning pen testing, you might just want to try it. Then again, maybe read up on what NetHunter is before you try anything too drastic...

Kali NetHunter homepage

Either the Mark VII has a battery built-in, and I haven't heard about it yet, or you're not connecting the Pineapple to your phone correctly. You HAVE to connect to the Pineapple via the USB-C interface, or it won't connect. At least from my understanding. I could be wrong. If I'm not mistaken, the new Pineapple doesn't include the same drivers (AKA Kernel Modules) built-in that would be required to "see" a phone connected to the USB type A port on the Pineapple.

I don't own a Mark VII to test with, but you could maybe check if you could add the required drivers via the command line:

opkg list kmod | grep -i android

That command is just off the top of my head, and could be wrong. Just sayin'

For what its worth, the Old Pineapples (Nano and Tetra), while technically able to work from the USB-A host ports, the preferred method was the included USB splitter, and an OTG cable for your phone.

Note that if you try to power your Phone and Pineapple via a USB 3-way cable, it needs to be USB 3.x capable for the entire run, as there is just no way to provide sufficient power to both devices over USB 2.

If the above is not feasible in your situation, you might try the following. If you have access to a PC or Mac with a USB-C port on it, or have a USB-C Wall charger, you can try running a USB 3 A to C cable from that charger to the USB-A port on your Pineapple. This should supply power to the device, since most of these devices just need 5V to be supplied SOMEWHERE. If the device correctly powers up this way, it will free up the USB-C port on the Pineapple (which contains the Network Interface), and you can use an OTG cable, or even a direct USB-C to USB-C cable to connect your phone to your pineapple, assuming your phone has that type of charging port.

I hope that helps.

3 hours ago, Aaron Outhier said:

If I'm not mistaken, the new Pineapple doesn't include the same drivers (AKA Kernel Modules) built-in that would be required to "see" a phone connected to the USB type A port on the Pineapple

Exactly, and that was the question.

If I had problems with power consumption, I would just put an active USB hub between the Pineapple and my Smartphone.

I will search opkg for a kmod.

That’s fine, but still, that might or might not be a dead end. Officially, the only way to access the Pineapple as a network device via a wire is via the Pineapple’s USB-C interface. I highly recommend you try that first. If your phone has enough power, a simple USB-C to USB-C cable should get you the result you desire, without having to mess around with the firmware.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I finally fixed this!

Just get to shell and run

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-net-rndis

Now connect your phone to the USB-A port of the MK7 and enable USB tethering.

I actually had to delete the default routes by running following command twice:

route del -net 0.0.0.0 gw 172.16.42.42

Now I can even use it from my management wifi interface:

└─$ traceroute hak5.org
traceroute to hak5.org (23.227.38.65), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  mk7.lan (172.16.42.1)  2.320 ms  2.292 ms  2.277 ms
 2  192.168.144.161 (192.168.144.161)  4.960 ms  4.932 ms  4.910 ms
 3  192.168.178.1 (192.168.178.1)  8.274 ms  8.235 ms  9.042 ms
10  myshopify.com (23.227.38.65)  25.771 ms  25.736 ms  25.719 ms

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:56 PM, exec4 said:

Just get to shell and run

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-net-rndis

Now connect your phone to the USB-A port of the MK7 and enable USB tethering.

That's all you have to do with the latest firmware 2.0.0 RC1.

• 9 months later...

Archived