Wifi Pineapple - Nano SD card not detecting

ShadowStorm

Hey there,

i am new to community, i recently bought nano and i tried 4,8,32gb sd card, i try formatting them it did not worked in starting but at some rare ocassions it does get detected once after formating, but even if it's getting detected after 10 sec it's auto getting undetected + i cannot install anything on sd card, it always says installing (rarely when card is detected) and never gets any module installed

i bought it with gathering my pocket money and i see it's not working, i have no idea what should i do, i tried formatting manually as well as via pineapple, also bought 32gb card specially for this

I hope someone helps me out to fix it and determine its a hardware issue or my side

Thanks, hoping for a reply

Just now, ShadowStorm said:

Hey there,

i am new to community, i recently bought nano and i tried 4,8,32gb sd card, i try formatting them it did not worked in starting but at some rare ocassions it does get detected once after formating, but even if it's getting detected after 10 sec it's auto getting undetected + i cannot install anything on sd card, it always says installing (rarely when card is detected) and never gets any module installed

i bought it with gathering my pocket money and i see it's not working, i have no idea what should i do, i tried formatting manually as well as via pineapple, also bought 32gb card specially for this

I hope someone helps me out to fix it and determine its a hardware issue or my side

Thanks, hoping for a reply

also let me know if i should share any details/logs/videos which can help troubleshooting

This issue is already being discussed in other threads

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/53188-sd-card-cant-get-to-work/

I have never had any problems with SD cards on my Nano, so I haven't dug any deeper into the matter. It seems as if there is some kind of solution coming for it. Not sure when though. The Hak5 team has to answer that, but I guess they are pretty occupied with the Mark VII and Cloud C2 v3 at the moment, but... just my guess. There might be other dev resources linked to the Nano specifically.

I simply had to see if I was just "the lucky one" to not experience any problems or if I could force the problem to appear.

So, now I've tested my Nano with the following cards:

- Intenso MicroSDHC 4 GB Class 4
- Intenso MicroSDHC 4 GB Class 4 (yes, yet another one)
- Kingston MicroSDHC 8 GB Class 10
- SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC 8 GB Class 10
- Kingston MicroSDHC 16 GB Class 10
- SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC 32 GB Class 10

And... they all worked! Can't seem to replicate the problems that are reported by some when it comes to SD cards and the Nano.

In addition to the above, I have my (always working) Kingston 4 GB card since before. So, in total, 7 working SD cards.

My way of "preparing" the cards is to just run GParted and then
create a new partition table (Device > Create Partition Table... > msdos > Apply)
Then create a new partition (Partition > New > fat32)
Insert it into the Nano and boot it up, then go to the Advanced section > USB & Storage > drop down > Format SD Card
Wait for the format to finish, then using the card as intended with the Nano

I'm using FW 2.7.0, i.e. the latest available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

Thanks for your reply and help, i  did not knew i had to download GParted and boot ISO file, i watched and learned how to do it but it was not possible. it still had same issues of not detecting, for first 5 mins it was detected. once i installed another module just kept loading and then when i refreshed after 20 mins the "install SD Card" option was gone

seems like hardware issue to me? is there any way i can check if it's my end issue or hardware issue, because i tried above steps and did not worked for me

Thanks 

1 hour ago, ShadowStorm said:

seems like hardware issue to me?

Not necessarily. It could also be lack of power,  or a dodgy sd card or both combined. Not to mention that it would be wise to also attempt a factory reset, and worst case a firmware recovery.

If I were you I would: -

1. Confirm a surplus of power is supplied to the nano, not just under or =. Use the Y lead etc.

2. Perform firmware recovery on the nano. Only do this if confidently sure that point 1. is confirmed. Flashing the recovery firmware with bad power or making an error in the procedure could brick the nano and make things worse.

3. Test sd card on other device. Test capacity and RW speeds etc to test authenticity. Have another sd ready - even if borrowed - as having two or more cards will help confirm or deny results from tests you do.

4. Follow chrizree's advice in his post above for formatting the cards, there are other ways and tools but you seem to have used gparted already so stick with what you know.

5. Stay away from modules, totally. UNTIL you have confirmed operation of the sd card. Why add another variable to the mix when you don't need to. You can test the card just by using the firmware and/or CLI.

6. If all the above fails to help I would possibly attempt this - Only as its sounds very similar to what you are experiencing, maybe same supplier of card.

7. Contact Official Hak5 support.

Archived