Can't perform initial setup...

JulienB

I just received my new MKVII, but unfortunately can't configure it...

Whatever I try, I'm stuck on the "Verify you device" page were we need to select setup mode (LAN or WIFI). I can press the button quickly, slowly, longly, nothing happens. I had flashed it using the factory firmware 3 or 4 times, tried on Wifi, on LAN, direct USB-C, with USB convertors, on 2 computers and mobile... no luck, I'm always stuck on that page.

I contacted the support today but haven't received an answer yet.

Any idea of things I missed or that I could try?

19 hours ago, JulienB said:

I just received my new MKVII, but unfortunately can't configure it...

Whatever I try, I'm stuck on the "Verify you device" page were we need to select setup mode (LAN or WIFI). I can press the button quickly, slowly, longly, nothing happens. I had flashed it using the factory firmware 3 or 4 times, tried on Wifi, on LAN, direct USB-C, with USB convertors, on 2 computers and mobile... no luck, I'm always stuck on that page.

I contacted the support today but haven't received an answer yet.

Any idea of things I missed or that I could try?

When you flashed it 3 or 4 times, did you flash it from firmware recovery mode? and did you flash the mk7_recovery_1.0.1.bin file or a upgrade file?

16 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

When you flashed it 3 or 4 times, did you flash it from firmware recovery mode? and did you flash the mk7_recovery_1.0.1.bin file or a upgrade file?

I only used the recovery mode with:

mk7_recovery_1.0.1.bin

So you can press and hold button while powering up to get into firmware recovery? so button must be working ok.

But when using the button to select wifi up or down to config you get nowhere?

The slow bootup is strange though sounds like power maybe.

Yes, I confirm the button works to switch to firmware recovery mode. In that mode, the image is sent very quickly and I can see the led blinking (blue/red). However, the boot after this takes ages. 

For the power, I tried using a direct USB-C port on my MacBook pro, and also using a USB power bank (which can deliver 2.4A)

Having used pineapples and other similar devices in mobile engagements, I wouldnt trust that power bank to deliver full 2A if thats all you're using for power, unless you've verified with multi-meter. Even then, current draw can be highly variable from pack to pack, even if the same brand. You could get a USB mAh meter from amazon or something similar to verify, but until then you will get the most consistent results from a proper 2A usb power supply.

Also, if you're using your laptop to power the pineapple, you will also have power issues. USB 2.0 ports will only deliver 800mA max. USB 3 is technically capable of delivering 2.4A, but whether it does or not depends on the manufacturer, and I've run into USB 3 port on mobile devices, laptops etc that will barely deliver 1.8A on a good day. You wont know till you test, but power issues will cause all sorts of weird and unexpected behavior, including what you describe. 

Hmm, weird. I'm curious now. 

After the long boot, SSH to your mk7, and copy the output from these two commands into a txt file.

dmesg
logread /tmp/log.db

If there are any hardware initialization errors, they should show up there. I can't promise I can help, but if you're down to give a go, open the txt file you made, and scrub out any identifying info you may have in there, SSIDs, MAC address, IPs, hostnames, etc, and then post to here. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What scenario applies to your situation specifically? How are you connecting to your Mk7 (WiFi, USB-C)? How do you power it? What OS/browser are you using to connect to the Mk7? Do you get a distinctive "click" (kind of) when pressing the button (i.e. does it seem as if the button should work in hardware terms)?

Archived