Owners of Mark VII -- should I purchase?

op8

I was present during the YouTube launch a couple of weeks ago and almost purchased right after the launch ended because I am SUPER pumped for this new product, but decided to hold off for a minute and see how everything goes the first couple of weeks.

I decided to swing by the forums this morning and see how everything was going and have to admit that I was a little disappointed to see so many threads about users having problems... so my question to you all is: would you recommend that I go ahead and purchase or do you think I should wait a little longer before deciding whether or not to purchase?

Do you own a TETRA currently ? Maybe you can wait.

Do you own nothing? then I'd get in on the fun of working through the bumps in the road to awesome... 

Because of how great the Tetra software upgrade was last year or so - I have confidence that the Hak5 team will pull together upgrades and help move forward to the same... 

I honestly will say that I am still tinkering and using and more active with my Tetra - but the mk7 is always here in the home lab along side - comparing it.... 

1 hour ago, DF00 said:

Do you own a TETRA currently ? Maybe you can wait.

Do you own nothing? then I'd get in on the fun of working through the bumps in the road to awesome... 

Because of how great the Tetra software upgrade was last year or so - I have confidence that the Hak5 team will pull together upgrades and help move forward to the same... 

I honestly will say that I am still tinkering and using and more active with my Tetra - but the mk7 is always here in the home lab along side - comparing it.... 

i don't currently have a WiFi Pineapple device, had a Mark V device but sold it a while back and was looking to purchase a Tetra but i guess i lucked out since the Mark VII came out right before i bought one

my only concern and the reason i hesitated on purchasing a Tetra for so long is because of all the posts here on the forum of people have problems with their Nano/Tetra that made the device unusable -- and now i feel as if i am seeing a repeating pattern with all of the issues regarding the new Mark VII

i'm hoping that these issues are just your typical launch bugs as with most tech products and that they will get straightened out fairly quickly because i'm really excited to use this device

I do not have an issue with the Tetra I am using in the home lab here and out in the wild... Cant comment about the others... 

I think if youre hesitant - then wait - if you dont have the stomach or wanting to work through the issues - then wait - I think you do wait... 

The tetra is solid for me... just waiting for some software revs for the mk7 and I expect it to be the same... .

I have to admit that the new terminal feature is pretty sweet. Cuts out a few steps for me here and there. 

image.png.ac4b4ae09be10689704d1f24bb9f9777.png

The third antenna also streamlines a few things but I already was using a wifi dongle on legacy Marks. 

Finally, Do you support what Hak5 does?

2cents thus far... 

9 hours ago, DF00 said:

I do not have an issue with the Tetra I am using in the home lab here and out in the wild... Cant comment about the others... 

I think if youre hesitant - then wait - if you dont have the stomach or wanting to work through the issues - then wait - I think you do wait... 

The tetra is solid for me... just waiting for some software revs for the mk7 and I expect it to be the same... .

Hmm, well that is good to hear that you aren't having any issues with the Tetra! I was pretty crushed when I had to make the decision to not purchase the Tetra, although, I'm actually glad it happened the way it did because I would have purchased one just weeks before they announced the Mark VII model and then I would have been pissed lol

And it's not necessarily that I don't have the stomach or want to work through the issues, I don't mind doing the work as long as I know that I am working towards a goal that is actually feasible. However, I just simply don't have the time to spin my wheels all day only to end up frustrated and pissed off

With all that being said, I don't know how much longer I can resist just going ahead and ordering one... I almost feel like I made this thread so someone would talk me into ordering it -- so that's what I will just go ahead and do :)

• 3 months later...

Well, that's not entirely true, there is more than the Evil Portal available and the Pineapple isn't just about modules even if it's one of the features. I've never been really disappointed with any of my Hak5 devices (and I have 10 out of the different variants made available). You have to be ready to do some work though. Buying Hak5 stuff isn't like buying a toaster in my opinion. Even though Hak5 makes it easier to enter the cybersec arena, you need at least some basic knowledge and... you need some dedication to learn and get better all the time and also be prepared to contribute. So, don't wait for modules, develop them instead...

Don’t buy.  I’ve have both the tetra and the Mark VII. There is a good reason you can still buy the tetra.  

after I purchased the M7 I realized the I entered a paid beta program.  Not that big of a deal really and there are some things about the M7 that I like more than the tetra.  

I took a 3 month break to return to the M7 finding that both the C2 and the M7 had a new version.  Unfortunately the M7 didn’t get much better and although C2 now supported the M7 it doesn’t do much good. An ultra cheap netbook running kali and a 20$ panda wireless USB adapter would server you better right now.  I have hope for the product but i would give it a pass.

1. Scans are unreliable.  It frequently can’t find AP’s that it should.  
2. Campaigns do not work as you expect.  Maybe my expectations are wrong but if I set up a scan interval and a report interval I expect the M7 to scan and report more than once.

3. No delete button for old reports. Really? There is a work around.  Do it manually.

4 the dark skin obscures some menu options.

5 horrible documentation. Common guys a 10 minute random YouTube video.  
6 no new modules.  Probably because the product has so many flaws.  
7. C2 support is awful.

8. No real 5Ghz support.  The new module that hak5 will sell never came to market.  

im getting ready to try the beta fork but if this is what’s stable I wonder what the unstable release has in store for me.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 1:32 AM, mad perk said:

Don’t buy.  I’ve have both the tetra and the Mark VII. There is a good reason you can still buy the tetra.  

after I purchased the M7 I realized the I entered a paid beta program.  Not that big of a deal really and there are some things about the M7 that I like more than the tetra.  

I took a 3 month break to return to the M7 finding that both the C2 and the M7 had a new version.  Unfortunately the M7 didn’t get much better and although C2 now supported the M7 it doesn’t do much good. An ultra cheap netbook running kali and a 20$ panda wireless USB adapter would server you better right now.  I have hope for the product but i would give it a pass.

1. Scans are unreliable.  It frequently can’t find AP’s that it should.  
2. Campaigns do not work as you expect.  Maybe my expectations are wrong but if I set up a scan interval and a report interval I expect the M7 to scan and report more than once.

3. No delete button for old reports. Really? There is a work around.  Do it manually.

4 the dark skin obscures some menu options.

5 horrible documentation. Common guys a 10 minute random YouTube video.  
6 no new modules.  Probably because the product has so many flaws.  
7. C2 support is awful.

8. No real 5Ghz support.  The new module that hak5 will sell never came to market.  

im getting ready to try the beta fork but if this is what’s stable I wonder what the unstable release has in store for me.  

I understand what you mean but doesn't mean not to buy at all, if you wanted to start getting into this area you could make your own module and every product has a stage where it’s getting on its feet it’s finding the ground so yes if you want to wait until it’s fully done that’s fine but I wouldn’t say don’t buy at all..

• 3 months later...

This product is garbage and waste of money, doesn't do anything right. Save your money and build a botnet!  I've read everything up on this new wifi pineapple and still have no answers year later. This company has multiple products witch proves they don't know what they're doing and just mass producing junk to steal money (Dont expect a refund or return). Thanks for the half ass customer service at hak5 that only responds when you tell them its useless. Stick to real hacking without a fancy graphical user interface program. 

I think it is worth it overall, you need to run the current beta release and find one of the correct 5G adapters to get the most out of it. I used these to teach RAP attacks, my only regret is not having a 5G adapter and the beta software when I was doing the lab.

Archived