Getting info from my wi-fi router

Justmaself

There are two different scenarios here; one is to collect traffic passing your router/network and the other is to scan for WiFi devices. When it comes to Wireshark it's not an easy to use tool/software if skill levels are low or moderate. Collecting info is one thing, but analyzing it all later and fnd what you are really looking for will require a pretty heavy amount of skills when it comes to understanding protocols and networks in general. Then, you can't just capture traffic "just like that". You need some kind of relevant equipment to do it. It all depends on your setup. If it's an ordinary home network or a network for a smaller business, I would probably position some equipment where I can listen to traffic that is both in- and outbound in terms of internet traffic, but also equipment for traffic that is all internal to the local network (i.e. not leaving the network at all) if that is within the scope of interest. It all depends on the network equipment at hand, but with an ordinary home WiFi router, it can be a challenge depending on the scenario. Most likely a PC with two Ethernet adapters running Wireshark (or tcpdump) would be sufficient or a switch with port mirroring functionality and a PC listening to the mirrored traffic using the same tools already mentioned. As for the wireless scanning part, I would start with using airodump-ng with a wireless adapter capable of scanning both 2.4 and 5 GHz ranges. Directional antennas too, to be able to pinpoint the location of any found/suspicious devices. It's possible to use Wireshark for this as well, but I would probably start with airodump-ng during the "identification phase" and then perhaps move over to Wireshark when trying to locate the devices.

And... of course, since we are on the Hak5 forum, there are Hak5 devices that possibly can be used for this as well. It depends on how you want to do it and to what extent. For example the WiFi Pineapple, the Signal Owl, the Plunder Bug and the Packet Squirrel.

The very first of the tips I can give you is really to get dirt under your fingernails and dig into the the area of cyber security to better understand it all to get a foundation to build upon. Even though I think that Hak5 devices is a very good starting point since they make things easier for those that might not be that proficient, knowledge is always the base for everything. Operating within cybersec isn't like using a toaster sadly. There is no single button to press and get a slice of toasted bread. Of course there are scripts and solutions that can be used by nearly anyone, but they still aren't aware of what they are doing many times. And, since I'm not fully seeing the scope of your needs, I don't want to fool you into buying things if they aren't fit for your needs. If the hidden devices your are trying to hunt down use some form of AP or just sitting there with no network association, then a WiFi Pineapple might be a way to go, but you could use a PC with for example Kali Linux and a working WiFi adapter to scan for the same thing as well. Despite that, it's no guaranteed success in finding the devices. The tools might just be a help on the way, but not give a 100% hit rate. Other Hak5 devices that can be used to capture network traffic is the Plunder Bug and the Packet Squirrel of which I have only used the last mentioned of them. I think it's easy to use, but you can get the job done with a PC and two network interfaces as well.

Archived