Shady reaction to my WiFi pineapple

Boomer1988

I apologize for the stupidity of this question, but I feel far too paranoid to just let this go.

Just now I received my WiFi pineapple from Amazon, and as I was setting it up, it began to slow my internet down dramatically. After which my computer completely froze (it's a new computer and I have never seen it stutter like this). Please tell me if it is at all possible that my pineapple had been tampered with before it got here. I bought it from the most reputable seller on Amazon. Thank you. 

1) You posted 31 minutes ago and then wanted people to have answered you by 4 minutes ago.  That's not reasonable.

2) Nano or Tetra?  "setting it up" - exactly what did you do?  Was your network wired or wifi or both?  It is very unlikely that a NEW pineapple was tampered with.  Was it new?  In retail packaging?  Did you consider the procedure in Hak5 documentation to reset it?  That's a good idea anyway given your confusion.   The Pineapple is a hacking device. If you "set it up" without thoroughly reading the instructions you are damn right - it could do all kinds of things to your wifi network.   That's its purpose and to then show vulnerabilities that can be corrected.  The pineapple is a very complex device.  My suggestion is that you read all the docs, watch all the videos and proceed methodically in exploring what it does.

3) Going forward, be methodical, write the steps you took and what you expected. THAT is how to seek help for something like this. "Setting it up" - quite frankly that is absurdly vague. It would also help if you could describe what you expect it to do.

25 minutes ago, Struthian said:

1) You posted 31 minutes ago and then wanted people to have answered you by 4 minutes ago.  That's not reasonable.

2) Nano or Tetra?  "setting it up" - exactly what did you do?  Was your network wired or wifi or both?  It is very unlikely that a NEW pineapple was tampered with.  Was it new?  In retail packaging?  Did you consider the procedure in Hak5 documentation to reset it?  That's a good idea anyway given your confusion.   The Pineapple is a hacking device. If you "set it up" without thoroughly reading the instructions you are damn right - it could do all kinds of things to your wifi network.   That's its purpose and to then show vulnerabilities that can be corrected.  The pineapple is a very complex device.  My suggestion is that you read all the docs, watch all the videos and proceed methodically in exploring what it does.

3) Going forward, be methodical, write the steps you took and what you expected. THAT is how to seek help for something like this. "Setting it up" - quite frankly that is absurdly vague. It would also help if you could describe what you expect it to do.

I apologize, I'm feeling frantic because I don't want my security to be compromised. 

I downloaded it's latest firmware for the Nano, plugged the Nano into my ethernet connected desktop and waited for it to upgrade. Logging in is where the problems began as the internet began to slow down to the point where the tutorial video I was watching wouldn't load. That's when I went onto my desktop to see that my taskbar began to freeze, and then my desktop. Once my computer became completely unresponsive, I turned it off and disconnected the Nano. Now, having restarted my computer, the problems persist sporadically. I'd be using the internet and it would just slow down, and then, the freezing would begin again. To reiterate, this didn't happen with this computer before I used the nano.

And it came in the standard WiFi pineapple box. There was nothing concealing the box and there was nothing covering the Nano. Thank you for responding, and please do answer my question as to whether it is possible that my Nano had been preloaded with some kind of malware.

Archived