LILYGO® TTGO T-SIM7000G ESP32 Wireless Communication Module

LILYGO® TTGO T-SIM7000G ESP32 Wireless Communication Module

https://www.banggood.com/LILYGO-TTGO-T-SIM7000G-ESP32-Wireless-Communication-Module-Small-Card-Development-Board-p-1652592.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN#jsReviewsWrap

http://www.lilygo.cn/

Hi all, i have been looking at this device to combine a small rig that i can leave at a location for wifi/ble recon or for other purposes. What i really like with this module is the combination of options such as saving the .pcap file to a SD card, the availability to connect to the device from the cellular network and of-course the esp32 with wifi and ble capabilities.

I have not yet bought any modules and i am looking for advice. Though it would be interesting to hear if anyone tried giving the module a test-run? 

Sum, Is the module worth it?

Edit: The SIM7000G is just a 2G compatible chip though - so scratching the "lte".

Alrighty, buying one just to see if i will be able to mainly capture ble/wifi traffic and send it to a c&c through lte. I guess a side-project could be to connect the solar panel and recharge the battery.

10 hours ago, 369 said:

Alrighty, buying one just to see if i will be able to mainly capture ble/wifi traffic and send it to a c&c through lte. I guess a side-project could be to connect the solar panel and recharge the battery.

You're aware that this is a micro controller right? Usually coded in Arduino C++ / Python etc?

Surely a Pi Zero would be a better platform to work on being able to run Linux etc?

Edit also the ESP32s can have reliability issues depending on what you're doing with them. Many of my complex ESP32 projects require regular reboots. They do have good sleep mode options though.

Edit 2 just done some research and they're not capable of capturing handshakes etc. 

Hi PanicAcid, ty for the input.

Yes, i am fully aware that the module (dev board) is a esp32 micro controller programmable via the Arduino IDE.

And i would agree that using a (pineapple tetra or nano)/ Pi 3/4/Zero w with an external WLAN adapter such as Alfa AWUS036ACH and/or AWUS1900 together with an external powercore and a gps dongle would do the job very effectively. But as much as that is fully possible the full size package would be heavier and bigger then TTGO T-SIM7000G ESP32.

Workaround for WPA/WPA2 handshakes could be capturing the 4-way handshake with the EAPOL messages? ->

• Capturing and storing EAPOL & PMKID packets in the sd card should be possible using the esp32? https://github.com/spacehuhn/PacketMonitor32 and/or https://github.com/spacehuhn/ArduinoPcap
  • Converting the pcap files to hccapx to be used in hashcat should work?

Anyway ty for the thoughts/input, was not gonna use it for capturing handshakes but that would be a great addition.

Reboots/crashes - well ya name it... on micro controllers, ikr, pain in da-but but everyone gets the same love  =)

Please correct me where ever i might need it xD

3 minutes ago, 369 said:

SNIP

I looked at arduinpcap etc but I thought I read somewhere in the docs that they can't capture a partial or full handshake. Don't forget that a PCAP isn't always a handshake, can just be packets as far as I'm aware. Might be wrong.

I do think some guys have managed to get the Pi Zero wifi adaptor working in permisc mode so you could still look at that (not trying to put a downer on your project, just trying to help! as i'd be keen to build whatever you build too, esp or otherwise! I've got loads of the little fudgers all over the house haha)

Yeah, this is great place to share thoughts, ideas and give each-other a kick in the bum 🙂 

Regarding arduinpcap and handshakes with esp8266 vs esp32 watch (spacehuhn's quick explanation) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hs6x1tMzf4 space

The Pi zero W is a wonderful toy but attaching a 3-4g dongle and a powercore. Hmm, doable but im way to lazy xD

And yep, ESP's are fun as heck 🙂

I'm finding the ESP32 super unreliable at the minute, I don't know if it's my code or what but i'm esp-resetting the thing after so many loops just to try and keep it reliable. It's a complex project though with an i2c multiplexer etc. a lot of folks have suggested running the code on just 1 core, I'm going to switch to the ESP8266 feather and see how it runs. 

I guess the joy of the ESP stuff is the sleep modes, those things can run on low power for a LONG time if done right. 

Do keep us posted by all means as I'm curious and i'll build one too!

Sounds like you got a complex project going, might i ask you why you use the esp8266 and not the 32? (though with my library mess in mind i might just be best not saying a thing ) 🙂

I will keep you posted, guess it will take at least 2-3 weeks to get them, btw remember that if you buy one of those modules there are 2 versions. Keep an eye on https://github.com/Xinyuan-LilyGO/LilyGO-T-SIM7000G/issues/1

39 minutes ago, 369 said:

Sounds like you got a complex project going, might i ask you why you use the esp8266 and not the 32? (though with my library mess in mind i might just be best not saying a thing ) 🙂

I will keep you posted, guess it will take at least 2-3 weeks to get them, btw remember that if you buy one of those modules there are 2 versions. Keep an eye on https://github.com/Xinyuan-LilyGO/LilyGO-T-SIM7000G/issues/1

So I've built my current project using the esp32, but it's not reliable, oled displays corrupt, it stops submitting MQTT stuff, apparently there's a few known issues with using WiFi and multi core execution on the 32 (it's allegedly fixed, I say it isn't)

But these issues don't exists on the 8266 as it's a single core, so I'm going to give my project a bash on the 8266 and see if it's more reliable.

It's actually a humidity & temp monitor / fan controller for my cigar storage haha, IoT everything right? I've got multiple HDC1080 TI sensors and OLEDs on each shelf in the cooler so I can see exactly how my collection is doing. But reliability is an issue, external antenna would be nice too.

24 minutes ago, PanicAcid said:

So I've built my current project using the esp32, but it's not reliable, oled displays corrupt, it stops submitting MQTT stuff, apparently there's a few known issues with using WiFi and multi core execution on the 32 (it's allegedly fixed, I say it isn't)

But these issues don't exists on the 8266 as it's a single core, so I'm going to give my project a bash on the 8266 and see if it's more reliable.

It's actually a humidity & temp monitor / fan controller for my cigar storage haha, IoT everything right? I've got multiple HDC1080 TI sensors and OLEDs on each shelf in the cooler so I can see exactly how my collection is doing. But reliability is an issue, external antenna would be nice too.

Nice one!! I have not been doing much multicore task's more then trying out some examples switching between the 2 microprocessors: core 0 and core 1.

What kind of WiFi issues did you encounter? As you mentioned earlier on you got recommended to only use 1 core, is there not a possibility to set the task to run on core 0 in such case or is the multitasking needed? (This is way over my knowledge so correct me)

You got a very clever project going on 🙂

1 minute ago, 369 said:

SNIP

Well, apparently when using wifi on the ESP32 it steals one core for itself, if you haven't written your code to run on the other core and that core alone it can run into issues. This is just what I've read whilst trying to troubleshoot my project / code. I can't remember which core the wifi hogs but deffo worth a google to avoid any issues. 

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few issues with this Project.

1. The esp32 can't be easily Setup in Monitor Mode. But it has another Mode you can use i can't remember what it was called.

2. You might have to add an capacitor since the esp32 has issues with powerspikes when using WiFi.

3. Nullbyte has a Video out in how to Control a Micro Controller with Micropython remotely it could be what you need.

Adding a read write head with SD Card should be fine. Hackster has an article in how to handle the cores from the esp32. The esp32 has an ultralowpower Mode that you could incorporate to have it lasting longer. I don't know about Bluetooth sniffing.

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody,

I have recently received a couple of TTGO SIM7000G with the ESP32.

I have plenty of ESP32 module working fine, but I am unable to program the TTGO SIM7000G with the Arduini IDE.

I have tried all the possible ESP32 board type in the IDE and I always have a connexion error

esptool.py v3.1
Serial port /dev/cu.usbmodem51850135541
Connecting....
Chip is ESP32-D0WD-V3 (revision 3)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
WARNING: Detected crystal freq 41.01MHz is quite different to normalized freq 40MHz. Unsupported crystal in use?
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 24:d7:eb:4d:8e:18
Uploading stub...
A fatal error occurred: Failed to write to target RAM (result was 01070000)
A fatal error occurred: Failed to write to target RAM (result was 01070000)

Do you have any idea how to program this board

Regards

Papboè¨

• 1 month later...

Archived