Lan Video Streaming

Reflux

Im looking for some server programs that can allow me to stream video and/or music to any computer on my homenetwork. I have a server running windows xp which im planing making it a linux box once a get a new computer (so preferbaly the program is multi platform). Though some quick googleing i came up with VLS (im not a big fan of VLC) and Lanovision (which has no linux support). I havnt tried them yet but im justing wondering have anyone of you used those or do you know any comerical products or other open source ones. Ideally i want a multi container support (mkv ogm avi mp4 etc) and multi codec (DVIX, XVID, h264 mpeg-4 etc) and cross player support (web, windows media player 10, zoomplayer etc) and an ondemand libarary.

~thanks

lol, what u want to use is VLC (Video Lan Client), it is multiplat form, and has a huge emphices on netowrk streaming, though sadly im at work, and cant get ahold of any of my links :S though i hope ive put u on the right path.

opps lol i read all of ur post, this time hehe, though u need VLC@!

I'v used VLC before, the actual product is VLS for the streaming but i wasnt really happy when i used VLC before for watching movies the video were very distorted and lots and lots of artifacts i'd get yellow blocks all over the place and since then iv been staying away from VLC and VLS well its going to be my last resort. But thanks anyway.

Well WinAmp Streaming NSV support is new to VLC for the last version or two so it might hiccup a little. It's also Nullsoft's own proprietary format, so to have NSV support at all is a big plus. Hasn't been a problem for me though, I gotta say...

For the most part though VLC is fairly flawless, give it another chance and I don't think you'll be disappointed, if NSV support still doesn't work for you, I think it will do within another version or so. :)