Linux live'cd' on a usb key?

Sunari

Is it possible to get the linux livecd images onto a usb drive, and usethem on a computer that allows for a USB device booting? what exatcly would be involved? is it just a straight copy+paste. AS well as would you get better performance? etc etc?

Ideas, comments, walkthrough :P all appreciated..

oh and next time google it.

Can you stop with the just google it? I've seen you say that about 3 or 4 times in the last 12 hours, quit it, will you? Sure, I say it sometimes, but if that's all you've got to say, maybe you might want to think a bit harder next time you post.

heres a link http://arstechnica.com/articles/columns/li...ux-20041109.ars

For everyones information:

"just fucking google it!" and its many variants: NO*

"have you tried searching for X?"/"A quick google search turned up a few links, x, y, z": YES

*in cases where the OP is repeatedly asking one line questions along the lines of "where is the 'A' on my keyboard? All I see is 'a'", then yes this is fine, but usually a mod will come along and say this, before locking the post.

Back on topic,

I've been thinking recently about U3 and Linux. Basically the beauty of a U3 USB drive is that it presents part of itself as a CDROM drive. The BIOS even sees the drive. Therefore even if an older system that does not have a boot from USB option can use this to boot from a small linux distro. The partition is quite small, 6MB if I remember correctly. I tried to use one of the switchblade tools to write a MS DOS boot image to the CDFS partition but was unsuccess in my first tests. I've since put the project on the backburner but would love to follow up on this if anyone has some input.

Maybe its been done before but my googling at the time didnt turn up any relevent results.

Thoughts?

So you want to basically have the U3 USB drive CDROM partition reference stuff on the USB partition?

Man the fun you could have with this if it worked.. i wonder how fast you could have it install, have it completly silent on teh computer.. granted it might be hard to setup a hidden boot operator.

Elaborate some more, i havent coded in a while, since i started my business degree so i dont know how useful i'd be. but this would be pretty sweet to develop

Can you stop with the just google it? I've seen you say that about 3 or 4 times in the last 12 hours, quit it, will you? Sure, I say it sometimes, but if that's all you've got to say, maybe you might want to think a bit harder next time you post.

i agree and disagree with the whole "just google it" thing, because sometimes you can just google it. but google isn't the end all know all