How to clone any website and upload it to Wordpress?

Lazyhacker

Connect to the file transfer system provided by your hosting provider. Download all files. Upload to the new box.

Back up database using hosting provider database access software. Upload that to the new box.

Or

Install a backup plugin on your old site. Backup the site. Install the plugin on the new site. Restore the site.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick response. Actually, I am not the owner of the website that I want to copy. I don't have the WP admin or Cpanel access.

However, Is there any way to copy the theme and can I use it on my own domain after downloading the theme?

Already, 🤧 I used HTTrack as well as other free tools to copy the website but failed. 🥴

Stop stealing other peoples work :)

You can see if you can figure out what base-theme they used, and base your own design on that.
The same for plugins, and the like, but plain downloading everything, throw it on a new server doesn't make it your content, and yes, it is theft, and copyright infringement.
You can buy base-themes and use for a starting point in your own design, some allow that. So, going that route would be the right route, everything else is plain wrong.

Be creative on your own :)
And yes, it can take a lot of time designing a website, that's half the fun :)

If it's for a phishing campaign, stop doing something illegal :)
You cant just download a WP site, you'll need the files, AND the DBase, to have a complete backup / copy. If you don't have creds, and can't get them, you're on the wrong path :)

/Kent

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

All WordPress items such as plugins and themes are licensed under the General Public Licence (GPL). This means that once we have purchased the item we are free to redistribute it if we choose to do so. Your membership to our site goes towards maintaining and buying the subscriptions to 3rd party theme and plugin authors. This form of crowd funding helps keep prices low and we can then pass this benefit on to you.

https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/getting-started/wordpress-licensing-the-gpl/

They are things released by WordPress themselves, that licence does not automatically cover every plugin or theme used on a WordPress site.

If develop a theme or plugin, I get to choose how it is licensed, I could put it under GPL or I could change for exclusive use of it.

And did it really take 18 months to find that quote?

• Upvote 2

If you have read it you should have noticed that, In the first line, It is mentioned: To develop WordPress themes for the public—either free or paid— you need to get acquainted with the GNU General Public License (GPL) that WordPress uses.

And every wordpress themes come with a license txt file that said the same thing!

And yeah it its really looks like you were not able to find this simple facts by your self in less than 18 month. 

And by the way its not me that wrongly accusing peoples of being theft so the burden of proof was not on me. I have a life and things to do.

If I was paid for, like you i would never left an un-answered post like this during 18 months lol 

But its a good news if I did not come here more often its because Daren selling good stuff.

Regards!

Did you read this bit?

https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/getting-started/wordpress-licensing-the-gpl/#do-i-need-to-license-my-themes-under-the-gpl

If you have no plans to distribute your theme then you do not need to adopt the GPL license for your work. The GPL only applies to distributed software. If you are not distributing your software – for example, a theme used only by yourself or on your local machine – you do not need to adopt the GPL.

So if I write my own theme, or write one for a client, and don't intend to distribute it, it does not need a licence. The GPL is only a requirement if you are distributing the theme.

So, it doesn't state "To develop WordPress themes for the public...", it states "To distribute WordPress themes for the public..." which are two very different things.

43 minutes ago, Jtyle6 said:

LazyhackerLast visited May 16, 2020

I doubt they will be back soon..

Its ok he is from UK he dont know what Freedom is yet lol 😝

After being slave for to long,  it can take hundreds of years to assimilate lol

We talk to a kid that just want to learn dude. Be back to reality plz!

He even dont want to distribute or develop anything here!

I hope this will help you all to understand what freedom is :

To develop WordPress themes for the public—either free or paid— you need to get acquainted with the GNU General Public License (GPL) that WordPress uses.

GPL basic freedoms

The spirit of openness and sharing has thrived within the WordPress community because of fundamental principles that form the core of its license. One way to think of the GPL is as a “Bill of Rights” for software. The GPL establishes the following four freedoms:

1. Freedom to run the program for any purpose.
  2. Freedom to study how the program works and to change it, so it performs computing as you wish.
  3. Freedom to redistribute copies, so you can help your neighbor.
  4. Freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions, giving the community a chance to benefit from your changes.

What is “free” in the context of software?

The ‘free’ in free software, refers to freedom and not price. The Free Software Foundation likes to say “free as in speech, not as in beer.” Free software is software that users can use to do as they wish. It need not be free from cost, although the ones hosted on the WordPress.org theme directory are.

Free software can come with a price tag. In other words, you can create a GPL theme and sell it for $50, and it would still be free software. Why? Because the user is free to run, modify, and distribute the software or any modifications of that software.

Keeping it free for all

The freedoms of the GPL don’t only apply to the original piece of software; works derived from GPL-licensed software must also adopt the same license, without restrictions or additional terms.

In this sense, the GPL provides the ultimate protection of freedom by making sure that anything that is derived from free software cannot be “locked down” after the fact; it must remain forever free to future experimentation and exploration.

Do I need to license my themes under the GPL?

If you have no plans to distribute your theme then you do not need to adopt the GPL license for your work. The GPL only applies to distributed software. If you are not distributing your software – for example, a theme used only by yourself or on your local machine – you do not need to adopt the GPL.

If you wish to submit your creation to the free theme repository on WordPress.org, it must be 100% GPL compliant, including CSS and image files. Because the freedoms spelled out in the GPL are at the heart of WordPress, we encourage developers to distribute their themes with a 100% GPL-compatible license.

Note:Freedom is an important part of developing WordPress themes. If you plan to distribute your theme, it is a good idea to license it fully under the GPL, so others can enjoy the same freedoms that you did when creating it.

You've pasted in the full page that includes the bit that shows I'm correct. This says it all, you only need to use the GPL if you want to distribute it therefore not all WP themes have to be released under the GPL.

8 minutes ago, Tomz said:

• Upvote 1

He admitted he doesn't own the site and therefore has no idea what the state of the theme is. It could be GPL or it could be private. Trying to take it without knowing which it is could be theft if they take one that isn't GPL.

Rather than trying to clone it, ask the owner for permission to use the theme or try to identify it and find it on a WP distribution system.

He also stated he wanted to clone the contents, depending on how those contents are licensed, that could also be theft.

Using Occam's Razor, someone comes into the forum and asks how to clone a full site and host it as their own, and then when challenged doesn't give a legitimate reason for doing it, it more than likely isn't going to be for any legal reason.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, digininja said:

He admitted he doesn't own the site and therefore has no idea what the state of the theme is. It could be GPL or it could be private. Trying to take it without knowing which it is could be theft if they take one that isn't GPL.

Rather than trying to clone it, ask the owner for permission to use the theme or try to identify it and find it on a WP distribution system.

He also stated he wanted to clone the contents, depending on how those contents are licensed, that could also be theft.

Using Occam's Razor, someone comes into the forum and asks how to clone a full site and host it as their own, and then when challenged doesn't give a legitimate reason for doing it, it more than likely isn't going to be for any legal reason.

Ok you are legally right Yeah but we have to educate users like him without accusing them being theft. 

And to night its exactly what we have done here 🤣

Great job guys 😂

Peace!✌️

• 4 weeks later...

Cloning a website involves creating a copy of an existing website and replicating its design and functionality. Here are the general steps to clone a website and upload it to WordPress:

1: Choose a website cloning tool: There are many website cloning tools available online, such as HTTrack, SiteSucker, and Wget. These tools allow you to download a copy of a website and its content to your computer.

2: Download the website files: Use the website cloning tool to download the website files to your computer. This will create a copy of the website's HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and other assets.

3: Install WordPress: If you haven't already, install WordPress on your web hosting server.

4: Choose a WordPress theme: Choose a WordPress theme that matches the design of the cloned website. There are many free and paid themes available online.

5: Upload the website files: Once you have chosen a theme, upload the cloned website files to your WordPress site using an FTP client or the WordPress file manager. Be sure to organize the files in the correct directories.

6: Create pages and posts: Use the WordPress editor to create pages and posts that match the content of the cloned website. Be sure to include any images and media files in the cloned website.

7: Customize the theme: Use the WordPress theme customization options to fine-tune the design of your website, including colors, fonts, and layout.

Cloning a website can be a complex process, and it's essential to have permission to copy its content before proceeding. Additionally, remember that some website cloning tools may not capture all of the website's functionality, so that manual tweaking may be required.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 8:30 PM, Lazyhacker said:

Hi,

Ho do I clone any Wordpress website including theme, plugins, contents and upload it to my Wordpress website?

To clone a WordPress website including its theme, plugins, and content, you can follow the steps below:

Install a WordPress backup and migration plugin on both the source and destination websites. Some popular options include All-in-One WP Migration, Duplicator, and UpdraftPlus.

Create a backup of the source website using the backup plugin. This will create a file containing all the website's content, including the theme, plugins, and media files.

Export the backup file from the source website and save it to your computer.

Install WordPress on the destination website if it is not already installed.

Install the same theme and plugins that were used on the source website on the destination website. You can find the list of the theme and plugins from the backup file or you can check them manually.

Install the same version of WordPress as the source website.

Install and activate the backup and migration plugin on the destination website.

Import the backup file from your computer into the destination website using the backup and migration plugin.

Once the import is complete, update the website's URLs and any other necessary settings to match those of the destination website.

Test the cloned website to ensure that everything is working properly.

This, and your other post, look like they were generated with chatgpt, but if you had read the thread, the OP admitted he didn't own the site so can't log in to install anything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, digininja said:

This, and your other post, look like they were generated with chatgpt, but if you had read the thread, the OP admitted he didn't own the site so can't log in to install anything.

Conformed.. The AI wrote it..

Yes, I generated that text for you. It provides a general overview of the steps to clone a WordPress website, including its theme, plugins, and content. Keep in mind that the specific details may vary depending on the backup and migration plugin used and the individual setup of the websites involved. It is always a good practice to test the cloned website thoroughly to ensure that everything is working correctly.