Internet Help

if he doesnt who how to open it then i dont think he knows whats supost to be there <_<

heres a copy of what mine is:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server

#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

A compromised machine will show symptoms in Internet Explorer but it's usually a sign that the complete Windows install has been wrecked from the inside out.

Tips to help after your reformat:

- Don't use Internet Explorer

- Make sure you've got adequate virus and malware protection

- Don't visit sites containing questionable content

- Don't click Yes unless you're 100% sure what is going to happen

- Pay attention to what's running on your system, take note if it seems unreasonably sluggish

- Don't run weird stuff people send you and don't click odd links on emails you weren't expecting

ok they grayed out shit is all done in the XP police settings (or reg is the same thing only one has a UI) though with this can u see the problem? the virus hasnt just played with IE setings, its played with the Windows Settings, its just as moonlit said, IE is the pne that u have found, most virus will now record any forms u fill out on IE (such as MSN, Hak5 forums login).

The probably have already made a copy of ur autofill data, if u use Live MSN its more than likely copramised (Hit: Dont download tools for ur sandbox on ur main machien, i totaly MSN T_T).

Pretty much if somethink goes as deep as playing with ur host file, ur system is pretty much open for them to do anythink to ur box...

howto fix? Re-load OS!

howto fix? Re-load OS!

Don't forget the permanent fix: Delete all NTFS partitions, Install Linux/BSD ;)

Urgh.

People who can't keep their system clear of bollocks aren't gonna get on well with *BSD or Linux...

But I know you say that every time, so I'm just going to ignore you ;)

howto fix? Re-load OS!

Don't forget the permanent fix: Delete all NTFS partitions, Install Linux/BSD ;)

Urgh.

People who can't keep their system clear of bollocks aren't gonna get on well with *BSD or Linux...

But I know you say that every time, so I'm just going to ignore you ;)

lol, i was just thinking how much of a shellshock that would cause on ppl if they did that :S, one of my clients last night brought a new Toshiba A100/400 and i had to spend about 2.5h's on the phone with him coz he couldnt work out were 'My Computer' was on Vista, then gave me a lecture that 'Computer' cant be 'My Computer' coz there is no 'My' at the start of it...

lol supos its the same as a few ppl grouping to gether to install MySQL on a server then calling me coz they couldnt find the 'Program Files' folder -_-U

Ubuntu is great for someone who just wants a web terminal and is happy to do everything via a browser. But if they want to install stuff, or use iPods etc its really not the way to go. XP can be locked down using AVG, Zone Alarm and Ad-Aware and there all pretty simple to use (although AVG is a bit shit at removing viruses, it will happily tell you they're there).

And as for viruses, we all get them once, we all do stupid things and hopefully we learn from them. Just reinstall and move on, don't dwell on it.

Just one question did you try a system restore?

System restore doesn't work, at least to get rid of viruses. It can fix user created problems how ever, it's one of the first things I disable after a install of XP.

Why do you disable system restore?

Also I was wondering many people I know use the classic theme on windows xp. Why?

If you know what your doing System Restore can be incredibly useful in a tight spot. If you don't, learn.

The only time I have used system restore and it has worked was on a brand new computer some one just bought and they had broken sound with in a week of getting it. I couldn't figure out wtf they had done. System restore to a previous day fixed it.

Its good for minor niggles like a corrupt registry, bad driver update or the sound bug you had. I've used it plenty of times to fix problems for people, mainly via the recovery console though. Its not that useful for recovering from system wide catastrofucks though, but it can bring it back to life enough to pull data from a system. And it doesn't work for malware or viruses because it tends to back them up along with the rest of the system. Its a useful tool and I would recommend people learn how to use it before deciding if they want it turned off. Just turning it off as a default setting could be a lethal mistake to a novice user.