hakcrap

tetra product review. [just... don't]

As a brand new recipient of a tetra, i have just wasted 2 days with it. woeful product.
2.6.2 is useless. doesn't always scan, doesn't save ssid. does less than my smartphone.
obviously so many complaints from others too, but as long as hak5 are 'excited' to
release it i guess. thats really great. good work. a shame they don't use their own stuff.

down(?)graded to the tetra recovery of 2.4.x. scans much better, even saves/shows ssid, but no associations
ever occur. ever. deauths don't work either.

the only thing that does seem to work is the open ssid from the networking options. wow!

no replies required. no comments about.. oh but have you checked your filters.. *sigh*. please.
have tried many combinations of pineAP start at boot/not start, restart pineAP, factory reset, modules,
no modules. cannot find a combination that works. shouldn't be this hard.

useless useless product.

binned.

/rant

On 2/29/2020 at 9:40 AM, hakcrap said:

As a brand new recipient of a tetra, i have just wasted 2 days with it. woeful product.
2.6.2 is useless. doesn't always scan, doesn't save ssid. does less than my smartphone.
obviously so many complaints from others too, but as long as hak5 are 'excited' to
release it i guess. thats really great. good work. a shame they don't use their own stuff.

down(?)graded to the tetra recovery of 2.4.x. scans much better, even saves/shows ssid, but no associations
ever occur. ever. deauths don't work either.

the only thing that does seem to work is the open ssid from the networking options. wow!

no replies required. no comments about.. oh but have you checked your filters.. *sigh*. please.
have tried many combinations of pineAP start at boot/not start, restart pineAP, factory reset, modules,
no modules. cannot find a combination that works. shouldn't be this hard.

useless useless product.

binned.

/rant

I thought I had one such problem, it did not work properly after installing the modules. Like a good dummy router stand.

I'm getting pretty disgusted with the product and the support so far.  If you don't want anyone but l33t haxx0rz to use your shit, then don't sell it, put it on github with all the other e-hipsters.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, UserNameHere said:

If you don't want anyone but l33t haxx0rz to use your shit, then don't sell it, put it on github with all the other e-hipsters.

/facepalm

Edited by Jtyle6
facepalm*
  • Like 1

Yeah there is no way I would take this into an engagement. I REALLY want to Pineapple to work, and I really wish it would. But it can't do 50% of the things it is supposed to out of the box, and I am not talking about 3rd party modules, The bread and butter of what the Pineapple should do is:

1. Enumerate APs and clients associated to those APs

2. Capture and broadcast the SSIDs of the APs it has discovered

3. Deauth clients in order to get them to connect to the Pineapple's rogue SSIDs.

It does point 1 perfectly. Points 2 and 3, not so much. 

2. It can't even properly take an SSID and load it into the pool without corrupting the name. This is just poor coding. 

3. It cannot dauth anything. I mean nothing. I made a small deauther using a Nodemcu Amica, and it works better than the Pineapple, and it didn't cost 200USD. 

I own several Rubber Duckies and those are excellent pentesting tools, so long as you write your scrips and customise your attacks depending on your target. I cannot say the same for the Pineapple. Much hype, little delivery. It's actually disappointing that Darren refuses to acknowledge this problem. 

• Like 1

I hear you. Having fun with this useless device myself for the last 2 days.

I'm experiencing the exact same issues and intermittently being locked out form connecting via management or the pineapple AP. My 2 laptops now report "unrecognized" USB device when connected via the Y cable. This worked just fine only yesterday. No luck connecting via the Ethernet port either.

The tetra is a very unstable half backed device. I've just requested a return/refund. Let see what I get in response.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, X00Gendo said:

Much hype, little delivery. It's actually disappointing that Darren refuses to acknowledge this problem. 

Exactly same sentiment here. Spent $200 on something that won't work. (In my case, it's stuck on "...still booting" screen with any SSH connection refused).

My first thought was "Okay, I'll chance another $200 if they won't help." But hell, seeing all these problems with no resolution -- another $200 would be a guaranteed waste.

• Like 1

I agree with all of you here. This product is much over hyped and it is frustrating to say the least. I bought this a few days back and I wished I had read all the feedback before I purchased it. I wished I had read this blog post about how the Wifi Pineapple is a total sham https://medium.com/@dephekt/a-review-of-the-pineapple-tetra-and-hak5-7198a98d8990   I hope the community realizes that hak5 is just swindling people their money with this bullshit product. I paid this out of my own pocket and I cant use this on any engagement. Feeling dejected and frustrated.  Shame on you Hak5 for this lousy Wifi Pineapple Tetra product.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Same experience  here on the functionality of the product. Such a shame.

Product testing- UAT etc. Seems to have been left out of the development cycle. 

My Tetra is just an ornament to what might have been. On my third Pineaple product- none works as advertised.

My $45 deauther in wrist watch form is far better to death- like it does it when I set it to do so 😉 Radical huh.

Edited by BlackOp
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, Jtyle6 said:

I had a tetra for a while and can never get it to work reliably the most it did was troll people with fake SSIDs. I have bought most of this stuff as my Job paid for it but the only slightly useful thing out of all Hak5 is rubber ducky.

• Like 1

What do you think about bashbunny? Is it better than rubber ducky? I have bashbunny and I think about buying rubber ducky.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jelnar Debs said:

should i not buy?? 

Correct - don't buy. I (finally) out of frustration literally threw my tetra in the garbage.

7 hours ago, JeffP said:

Correct - don't buy. I (finally) out of frustration literally threw my tetra in the garbage

You could of returned it. Because you just through some money in the bin.