Escaping variable question

kuyaya

Hey guys, I have a question

My "problem" is to escape the $SWITCH_POSITION

This command here 

Q STRING "powerShell -windowstyle hidden -ExecutionPolicy Bypass .((gwmi win32_volume -f 'label=''BashBunny''').Name+'payloads\\$SWITCH_POSITION\lazassword.ps1')"

Gives that output

powerShell -windowstyle hidden -ExecutionPolicy Bypass .((gwmi win32_volume -f 'label=''BashBunny''').Name+'payloads\switch1\lazassword.ps1')

But why is that the case? There are two \ in front of the $switch position. If you would only write one, it would just output $SWITCH_POSITION without any \, that makes sense, I understand that. But shouldn't it print out "payloads\$SWITCH_POSITION" because the switch position is escaped? Why does it print out switch1? The $SWITCH_POSITION should be escaped, shouldn't it?

And what should you write when you want to print out "\$SWITCH_POSITION"? Because the code above does not work for that.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:08 PM, PoSHMagiC0de said:

"\$" escapes question mark.

"\\" escapes back slash.

"\\\$" escapes back slash and question mark.

Ah, I understand now. It has a "\\" because the first \ escapes the second \, so the bunny should print it and not use it as an escape character. And the $ then obviously doesn't get escaped because there are only two backslashes, and the first escapes the second, so it get printed out, as I wrote above.

Thank you

Archived