Router Set Up?

Mr Andrewson

Depends, what's the router model? If it's an ADSL router then you can plug it in to the phone line as in the first picture. If it's not an ADSL router then it will need an external modem like in the second picture (that connects via ethernet, a USB modem like most of them in the UK *will not work*).

Your other option is to set up your ADSL modem on a machine and then use that machine as a gateway on the LAN. I think you'll find the router option a lot easier though.

Well, i am thinking of doing the same as him, getting an adsl router, so let me get this straight...

Phone line socket>filter>ADSL Router

>Phone

Computer>Wireless Network Adaptor>ADSL Router(connecting wirelessly)

Adaptor:

Here

Router:

Here

Thanks, i was just wondering 'cos it is a good deal and my phone socket is down stairs and my computer upstairs, so i didn't want to think i was going to have had a 15-20 meter ethernet cable lol, atleast i know whats what now and i will be able to use ubuntu with internet when i get the adaptor and router, 'cos right now i have a 20 meter adsl cable running from the filter downstairs up to the usb speedtouch modem...

Personally, I'm the one who keeps tabs on the connection in this house, and the only one who knows how to reconfig the router so what I did is kept my DSL extention lead leading upstairs and replaced the modem with the router. This way I get a wired ethernet connection to the router and everyone else in the house connects wirelessly.