SuperSavvyTech

Battery Not Staying Charged

I've read on here some people get 2-5 minutes of juice, mine wont even stay on long enough to perform simple nmap payload. Supposedly these things can get up to 10-15 minutes of juice?

When I first got this bad boy, followed start up video... had blinking blue... then solid blue. Put it in attack mode (magenta solid), plugged into network, ran script, turned off...loot right? Plug into laptop (arming mode), ssh into loot, boom it's in there! Unplug from laptop...charge...solid blue light.

Go to run new nmap scan, attack mode (magenta solid), then turns off before I can even plug into the network. I thought that it might not have been fully charged, so I go to charge it and I get a solid blue light. It was strange to me, so I plugged it into my laptop in arming mode (flashing green), ssh into the shark but quickly turns off. The only way it seems i can use this now is with the power source always connected.

Is mine just a bad batch of sharks? I nave several Hak5 products, love the concept of the shark... but it acted like a one and done. Anybody else got these issues?

***Has latest firmware btw

@SuperSavvyTech you are correct that the battery should last some 10-15 minutes. This can be verified using a simple uptime payload similar to:

while true; do uptime >> /root/loot/uptime.log; sleep 10; done

I'm really sorry your Shark Jack battery isn't performing as expected.

At the factory all Shark Jack devices undergo a burn-in test as part of the QA process whereby the battery is fully cycled before being charged to a level suitable for shipping. In the vast majority of cases this process identifies any underperforming batteries - which are then replaced. While a finite number of charge cycles is inherent in lithium batteries, the issue you are describing indicates wear far too premature. Please contact support at https://shop.hak5.org/pages/support and we will get you sorted in short order.

I have made the observation, that the Shark Jack ist not charged, if the voltage is to high. With a Raspberry Pi Powersupply (USB C 5,1 V; https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/type-c-power-supply/) it is "charged" after 60 seconds (solid blue LED) but it runs only for less then one Minute. With a "normal" USB-Powersupply the charge time is several minutes as expected and it operates over 10 minutes. Firmware is latest 1.1.0.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 7:07 AM, RWG said:

I have made the observation, that the Shark Jack ist not charged, if the voltage is to high. With a Raspberry Pi Powersupply (USB C 5,1 V; https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/type-c-power-supply/) it is "charged" after 60 seconds (solid blue LED) but it runs only for less then one Minute. With a "normal" USB-Powersupply the charge time is several minutes as expected and it operates over 10 minutes. Firmware is latest 1.1.0.

The power specifications for the Shark Jack is 2.5W (5V / 500mA). The charger you linked is out of spec and may damage the device.

is there any chance we can get the charge level (eg voltage) programmatically?

I have seen that the BATTERY command is only returning charging/full/discharging by accessing gpio40 and gpio41, any chance that one of the GPIOs is an analogue input which could return the charge level?

There is not a way to get the voltage in software - but I'll take that into consideration.

Why? The Shark Jack has its own internal battery - so it's compatible with both POE and the much more common non-powered Ethernet ports.

Is there a specific use case you have that would benefit from POE?

On 6/6/2020 at 6:50 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

Why? The Shark Jack has its own internal battery - so it's compatible with both POE and the much more common non-powered Ethernet ports.

Is there a specific use case you have that would benefit from POE?

I was also thinking PoE would be a good feature to leverage where available. Drop the shark Jack into a PoE enabled port and forget about it. Like a lan turtle but without the need for USB power if you will (I also think PoE would be a great addition to the turtle for the same reason)