Need Advice

JAL21

Ok, so a while back I updated the owl and now I can't seem to get it to do anything! I'm trying to connect it to wifi, but it won't work!

It goes through the boot process, then it stops blinking all together!

I don't know why it won't work, I don't know how I can erase it to start over in case it was something I did trying to get it to work...

when I push the button on the back, it does work to put it into arming mode.

Any help would be fantastic!

I'm also confused with something, and if I get this wrong, I'm new at this.....

on this document: https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360033504014-Payload-Development-Basics

it states that a .txt needs #!/bin/bash and a .py needs #!/usr/bin/python

There are 2 things that are confusing me at this point,

on the github, the extension says it's a python document, but when you look at it, it says #!/bin/bash

https://github.com/hak5/signalowl-payloads/blob/master/payloads/extensions/wifi_connect.sh

The Second thing that confuses me is that browsing to see what was on my owl, I looked at /bin and /usr/bin/ I didn't find a file/folder named python!

Do I need to change any of this information that I came across or has that been fixed?

Any advice/questions would be helpful!!!

I forgot to mention that I did have that too, this is what I have:

#!/bin/bash
# Title: Simple WiFi Connection Example
# Author: Hak5Darren
# Version: 1.0

# WiFi Client Setup
WIFI_SSID="Starfleet"
WIFI_PASS=""

LED SETUP
WIFI_CONNECT
# optionally start SSH server
# /etc/init.d/sshd start
LED ATTACK

I thought I would do an open wifi network to test out, but it still fails

Ok, so you are saying, all I need to do is to copy that script (payload.txt) to a USB drive and plug it in the owl and it should work, but i don't have to change the python script (changing the #!/bin/bash to #!/usr/bin/python) correct, and it should work yes???

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue with payload.txt and wifi_connect.sh extension in place. From what I understand, the extension should be sourced and then payload.txt executes. I was able to fix this two via two methods:

1) copied the WIFI_CONNECT function into payload.txt above the invocation

2) added a source statement into payload.txt to explicitly source wifi_connect.sh. (source /root/payload/extensions/wifi_connect.sh)

Based on documentation, these two steps should not be necessary. Anyone else having issues sourcing extensions in ATTACK mode?

Archived