help! our Dial-Up Ends in 2020

Flying Bricked

OK stop laughing , ......... Seriously  got the call today advising our DU is soon, no more. (They want the copper. We've had fibre outside the gate for 5 years but being a non profitable hook-up has left us on copper till soon . our area is so bad that DSL @ 5x the cost at about the same speed and @ $4/month unlimited with an active IP address, it's been ok. oh who am I kidding. now for the big question)

** need advice on what to look at getting for fibre cable, cable modem systems to plug straight into my gaming PC + notebook. I fly mini quads too so the 5.8GHz will have to be off somehow. (no WiFi)

Been using the local cafe and enjoyed the 2 to 5 GB/sec speed. (side question) why is the States showing Gb/sec all the time and not GB/sec ?  is it just to make you feel as if it is faster and that dividing by 8 slows it down some how? ANyway, wishing to know what to look for in a 1/2 decent modem without 8 antennas and a cup holder.

DOCSIS 3.1 or 4

link aggregation ?

thanks

For the best provider, you would have to search for your own provider in your local area.   I have fiber and use a custom built pfsense that has a sfp network adapter. I try to use as much of my own gear as possible.  If you are using cable then I would get a ARRIS SURFboard Docsis 3.1 32/8 Cable Modem and use a pfsense server as a firewall.  That's my two cents, hope this helps. 

On 12/20/2019 at 11:24 PM, viperlord said:

About 1GB Down/1 GB Up 8874602590.png

I have xfininty and my DL is 60Mbps and Up 5.0Mbps. Where I live, don't think we will ever have FiberOptics. It is a very small town. Just out of curiosity, what do you pay per month for service.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2019 at 2:57 AM, Quintox said:

I have xfininty and my DL is 60Mbps and Up 5.0Mbps. Where I live, don't think we will ever have FiberOptics. It is a very small town. Just out of curiosity, what do you pay per month for service.

I got 50mb down and 10mb up..i pay about 20€ (Thats home internet, plus landline phone flat, every 2 years a new cellphone like in usual contracts, also with phone, sms flat, 1gb LTE flat/per month.
But i got lucky, since its not allowed for a provider to simply change your tariff here..i have a tariff that doesnt exists anymore..but its still in my contract..so they try to lure me into a new contract.

For what i got you pay normally about 50€/month i guess.
All depends on where youre located..in rural areas of romania i`seen stray dogs pooping out high speed internet..in germany..erverything is available, but our needs would be considered luxury..so..its expensive.
Dont get me started on china..highspeed overload.
And in some place..i think skandinavia(????) its even a law to provide high speed internet for free to the citizens (but well..they need it, since its like the emergency line in that remote place)
Amarica seems to be a dreamland..wifi everywhere with securty levels of a hamster.

So conclusion..it really depends on location, location, location.

Archived