Best free Linux distro?

Mr Andrewson

I wanted to know the best free linux distribution out there, i have ubuntu, but i have heard bad of it, and all the websites out there give reviews, not opinions, i want to hear from people who actually know, so whats your choice of free linux? And which do you think is best?

That all depends on what you want. Want hardware support for every device on this little blue rock? Keep Ubuntu. Want something small for a very old computer? Then you would want DSL. Want to geek out and install everything from source? Gentoo would be for that. Want a nice, Almost-Windows-But-Is-Linux distro? There's Ubuntu, Fedora Core, SuSe, etc. Wanna be uber-geeky and only stay in runlevel 3? I would suggest FreeBSD. So you see, it all depends on what you want.

I know, i tried 3 times yesterday, but the files i edited had a plain icon with a red cross everytime, so... it didn't work. This is why i just want your opinions, which is the best free linux, i am getting a rouetr soon so... that shoudl be easier than adsl speedtouch yes?

I wanted to know the best free linux distribution out there, i have ubuntu, but i have heard bad of it, and all the websites out there give reviews, not opinions, i want to hear from people who actually know, so whats your choice of free linux? And which do you think is best?

For anyone asking this question the answer is Ubuntu

I know, i tried 3 times yesterday, but the files i edited had a plain icon with a red cross everytime, so... it didn't work. This is why i just want your opinions, which is the best free linux, i am getting a rouetr soon so... that shoudl be easier than adsl speedtouch yes?

If you get a router then all the distro needs to support is your NIC, which shouldn't be a problem for most distros (though I have an old NIC so it's more likely it would be supported)...

I use and like ubuntu... I presonally like KDE as a window manager so I use kubuntu but there are many variations such as ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, etc though they all essentially do the same thing.

Ok, i think i will stick with ubuntu so far, my friend has installed fedora core, which i think is worse than ubuntu.. but he won't listen.

You're asking which is the best Linux distro but feel qualified to tell your friend what to use? Call me crazy, but that doesn't make any sense...

Besides, Linux distros are very much a thing of opinion, you can't tell someone what to use, that'd be like me telling you that [your OS] is shit, you must use [my OS]... you wouldn't listen unless you agreed that my choice was indeed better for you so why would your friend?

Ok, i think i will stick with ubuntu so far, my friend has installed fedora core, which i think is worse than ubuntu.. but he won't listen.

You're asking which is the best Linux distro but feel qualified to tell your friend what to use? Call me crazy, but that doesn't make any sense...

Besides, Linux distros are very much a thing of opinion, you can't tell someone what to use, that'd be like me telling you that [your OS] is shit, you must use [my OS]... you wouldn't listen unless you agreed that my choice was indeed better for you so why would your friend?

QFE

I hate you! I hate the OSes you like!!

I like Suse, Fedora, Cent OS & FreeBSD.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Moonlit is right. You really cant give people advice on things you dont know. Each distro has it pros and cons. You cant say one distro is better than all others because they each bring something to the table. Some are designed to be Windows replacements and some are designed to be used by Linux gearheads.

Personally i like Fedora and knoppix. However I dont really care for OpenSUSE or Ubuntu. OpenSUSE wasn't all that great considering that it was a entire DVD install and Ubuntu seemed awfully slow compared to many other distros.

Just download some live CDs and see which one you like. Then install the one you like and figure out how to install your drivers for your modem.

like some other people have mentioned, its all your preference's and you need to find one that suites your needs and likes.

i myself use ubuntu and i really like it. but one i will suggest is the next release of fedora, fedora 7. it will be bleeding edge and i will defiantly be installing that on my other pc.

You can get anything to work with Linux/BSD/UNIX if you have the time, equipment, and expertise. Writing drivers is a bitch with little to no information from the manufacturer, it can be done and lots of people do it, but again it’s a bitch to do.

When it comes to a stock Linux installation you will have issues with pieces of hardware from some manufactures and unless you look at the lists that are available online which tells you what’s Linux compatible and only buy things on the lists, you are not going to have an easy time.

I relaxed a bit when it comes to Ubuntu, it’s OK for a modern desktop, I wouldn’t use it by choice but it’s OK. I still have some issues with it but as OS’s go, it’s a reasonable replacement for Windows if that’s what you’re looking for.

I like Debian but I’m a custom kernel man and I probably wouldn’t uses a stock Debian install unless it was a real piece of shit computer that needs something super light. If you’re happy customising and compiling a kernel then it’s a good pick.

Gentoo is nice once you have it up and running, although I have seen people make mistakes and have to install it a few times to get it working properly. It has improved over the years but it’s not an easy install for people new to Linux.

Fedora is OK and I like Red Hat products. It’s fairly good for most things and is very easy to install. CentOS can be chucked in hear too, it’s more for servers then a desktop but you could use it on a desktop box.

Mepis seems OK if your looking for an easy Linux, I only used it for a few weeks as I like to test Linux/BSD/UNIX distributions and see if anything new is being brought to the table or if there just rehashing the same old stuff.

PC-BSD and DesktopBSD seem to work well with few issues and if you want to try BSD and your a noob then there the best option.

I’ve used maybe 200 or more different flavours of Linux/BSD/UNIX over the years and most are not hugely different from each other, sure there are differences but most of the time they are minute and don’t really make a big difference. All I can say is try as many distro’s as you can, find one you like and stick with it.

There really isn’t a best operating system or a best distribution of Linux, as long as it does what you need it too and you like the way it feels, then that is what is best for you.