Smartphone exfil

Flatlinebb

Hey @Darren Kitchen, I thought I heard you mention using a smartphone to exfil the loot off the Shark Jack. Does the SJ work as a USB drive in any capacity, via OTG, when connected to a smartphone? Or is there some other method I'm not thinking of? Maybe run a tiny samba share payload off the SJ, then connect it to the OTG via the USB NIC and watch the world fold in onto itself into a singularity? Or connect a USB flash drive into the USB-C port on the SJ, then mount it and copy the loot in the shell to the USB drive? Has anyone tried that? Not sure if there is enough juice in the battery to power the SJ and a USB drive at the same time. Or add a USB Wireless dongle to the SJ, create a hotspot on the smartphone, connect to the hotspot on the SJ, then exfil via shell/C2/SMB etc.

If your phone support a USB Ethernet dongle, you can exfiltrate data via the web UI from your phone. I'm sure many other methods - like SMB as you mentioned - would work similarly.

The USB-C port is only for charging. Interestingly, you can use your phone to charge the Shark Jack. Select "Connected device" from USB controlled by on the USB Preferences menu.

IMG_20191112_123419.jpg

• Flatlinebb changed the title to Smartphone exfil

What phone are you rocking, Darren?

I'm currently using a Pixel 3 XL. And while it detects the USB LAN adapter over OTG when plugged into a network cable, Google seems to have taken the LAN menu away, because I cannot manipulate the IP address. So when I plug the Shark Jack into the USB LAN adapter in Arming mode, my phone cannot load the internal webpage. And yes, the charging works, so that is a good backup battery plan 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Flatlinebb said:

What phone are you rocking, Darren?

I'm currently using a Pixel 3 XL. And while it detects the USB LAN adapter over OTG when plugged into a network cable, Google seems to have taken the LAN menu away, because I cannot manipulate the IP address. So when I plug the Shark Jack into the USB LAN adapter in Arming mode, my phone cannot load the internal webpage. And yes, the charging works, so that is a good backup battery plan 🙂

I can tell you at the time of that post, he was rocking the Pixel 2.. And I did a little research for you.. Looks like you need a WiFi USB-A AX88179 Chipset Dongle.. (And some others work too). I'm also looking at a way to exfiltrate Data on the go from the SharkJack.. So far only way is with C2 or with a Laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @REDD! I was just throwing out ideas, each one more crazy than the last. And the SharkJack kit I bought actually included a USB LAN adapter that works quite nicely. Not gigabit, but I doubt the Shark can saturate it anyway. If that USB-C port could do something besides charging, THAT would open up possibilities. Might even solve your low space issue, REDD.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, Flatlinebb said:

Thanks @REDD! I was just throwing out ideas, each one more crazy than the last. And the SharkJack kit I bought actually included a USB LAN adapter that works quite nicely. Not gigabit, but I doubt the Shark can saturate it anyway. If that USB-C port could do something besides charging, THAT would open up possibilities. Might even solve your low space issue, REDD.

@Flatlinebb Yeah, I sadly don't have a dongle that is supported.. (Exactly what @Darren Kitchen has shown in his post.) But I'm glad you can verify you found a dongle that works. Would you mind posting the model, etc?..

• 5 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 6:30 PM, Flatlinebb said:

"LANO208B" LAN to USB2.0 adapter. Shows up in Windows 10 as "ASIX AX88772B USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter". No special drivers installed.

I have this adapter also. It comes in the SharkJack “kit”, available when you purchase your SharkJack from Hak5. You won’t get it if you just purchased the SharkJack ala carte.

Archived