[VIDEO TUTORIAL] Shark Jack Unboxing and Setup

Darren Kitchen

Everything from unboxing your Shark Jack to connecting in arming mode, exfiltrating loot, changing out payloads, upgrading the firmware, checking out the new web interface and even connecting it to Cloud C2.  

VIDEO CHAPTERS:
0:58 - Unboxing
4:22 - Attacking with the default payload
7:08 - Connecting in arming mode
10:40 - Navigating the file system
12:34 - Exfiltrating loot to our local host
14:13 - The sharkjack.sh helper script
17:16 - Upgrading the firmware
19:26 - The new arming mode web interface
20:30 - Loading new payloads
25:19 - Setting up Cloud C2

• Like 1

Hmmm... suspect behaviour here.

I downloaded new firmware and sharkjack.sh to my kali machine. Shark Jack is connected, pinging and i can connect to it with ssh.

When i run sharkjack.sh and select "connect" it only says "waiting for shark jack to connect"

Same on upgrade so i can't upgrade. Is there a way to manually copy the upgrade to,the Shark and start the upgrade directely from ssh shell ?

Greets, Heiko

On 11/9/2019 at 5:49 AM, Cyo59 said:

@Darren Kitchenhey what did you use to get your Ethernet and sharkjack on the same laptop? 

I'm using the USB Ethernet adapter from https://shop.hak5.org/collections/accessories/products/combo-ethernet-adapter-and-retractable-cable (which is included in the Shark Jack Combo Kit) - but any regular USB Ethernet adapter will work.

22 hours ago, Geeksystem said:

I downloaded new firmware and sharkjack.sh to my kali machine. Shark Jack is connected, pinging and i can connect to it with ssh.

When i run sharkjack.sh and select "connect" it only says "waiting for shark jack to connect"

Same on upgrade so i can't upgrade. Is there a way to manually copy the upgrade to,the Shark and start the upgrade directely from ssh shell ?

Greets, Heiko

I'll post a manual upgrade guide to https://docs.hak5.org but essentially the process is similar to that of the Packet Squirrel or WiFi Pineapple where you download the latest firmware from downloads.hak5.org, copy the file to /tmp/ on your device via SCP, then SSH into the device, verify its SHA256 sum, then issue sysupgrade -n /tmp/upgrade.bin

The IMPORTANT bit to keep in mind with the Shark Jack is that it should be plugged into USB power during the flashing process, as an interruption in power will result in a bricked device. 

On 11/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, Geeksystem said:

Greets, Heiko

Hello!

I have the same problem here. When I run ./sharkjack.sh and try to connect (C) the device,  it just waits to connect. And yes I can connect with ssh root command.

Any tip?

Cheers

I changed the following line (75) in my sharkjack.sh - working now. Bug ?

ip route show to match 172.16.24.1 2>/dev/null| grep -i 172.16.24.1 | cut -d ' ' -f3 | grep -v 172.16.24.1

to

ip route show to match 172.16.24.1 2>/dev/null| grep -i 172.16.24.1 | cut -d ' ' -f3 | grep 172.16.24.1

Greets, Geek

@Darren Kitchen - thanx. Manually upgrade works as expected.

Edited by Geeksystem

9 hours ago, Geeksystem said:

I changed the following line (75) in my sharkjack.sh - working now. Bug ?

ip route show to match 172.16.24.1 2>/dev/null| grep -i 172.16.24.1 | cut -d ' ' -f3 | grep -v 172.16.24.1

to

ip route show to match 172.16.24.1 2>/dev/null| grep -i 172.16.24.1 | cut -d ' ' -f3 | grep 172.16.24.1

Hi,

This change is not a fix to the problem you're experiencing, but we'd like to know more. Could you let us know how you're connecting the Shark to the computer (Onboard Ethernet or USB Ethernet?), and what OS you're using. The output of "ip route show" on the computer would be very helpful too.

Thanks,
Marc

27 minutes ago, Milhouz said:

Just because I've been digging for this info for a bit as I just ordered a Shark Jack. If I want to setup a Cloud C2 instance what are the recommended specs for that system if its going onto a VPS?

I use a Digital Ocean "droplet" (VPS) with 512 MB RAM and 20 GB disk. I hardly tax the thing. 

5 hours ago, Darren Kitchen said:

I use a Digital Ocean "droplet" (VPS) with 512 MB RAM and 20 GB disk. I hardly tax the thing. 

Sweet that's what i was hoping to hear! Looking at using the Shark Jack for some work related testing and wanted to see if that would work for doing low cost droplets!

On 11/12/2019 at 7:51 AM, Foxtrot said:

Hi,

This change is not a fix to the problem you're experiencing, but we'd like to know more. Could you let us know how you're connecting the Shark to the computer (Onboard Ethernet or USB Ethernet?), and what OS you're using. The output of "ip route show" on the computer would be very helpful too.

Thanks,
Marc

I used the USB LAN Adapter which came with the Shark. The downloaded sharkjack.sh came from here: https://downloads.hak5.org/shark
(Thought it was GitHub but i remembered wrong)

Here is the output from my actual Kali Linux machine:

root@host:~/Downloads/SharkJack# ip route show
default via 172.16.24.1 dev eth1 proto dhcp metric 100 
default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0 proto dhcp metric 600 
172.16.24.0/24 dev eth1 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.24.208 metric 100 
192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.203 metric 600 
192.168.122.0/24 dev virbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.122.1 linkdown 
root@host:~/Downloads/SharkJack# ip route show to match 172.16.24.1 2>/dev/null| grep -i 172.16.24.1 | cut -d ' ' -f3 | grep -v 172.16.24.1
root@host:~/Downloads/SharkJack# ip route show to match 172.16.24.1 2>/dev/null| grep -i 172.16.24.1 | cut -d ' ' -f3 | grep 172.16.24.1

As you can see - the DHCP request worked and my machine get a ip in the correct range. The original Bash Script (Line 75) uses grep -v at the end. Isn't this a inverting ?
I removed the -v from the option and everything works fine here.

Greets, Heiko

Edited by Geeksystem

• 1 month later...

1. I can connect from sharkjack.sh but the command line action fails. I don't know why.

2. The USB-RJ45 connection does not work. It does work if I plug directly into the RJ45.

3. When connected I loose my internet as the etherful with the net takes over from the WIFI. 

I also played with the script that emails the results. The script works but I have been unsuccessful with the email.

Any answers or pointers would be appreciated.

Some questions:

I use a Macbook Pro and:

1. I can connect from sharkjack.sh but the command line action fails. I don't know why.

2. The USB-RJ45 connection is not being recognised. It does work if I plug directly into the RJ45.

3. When connected I loose my internet as the ethernet with the sharkjack takes over from the WIFI. 

I also played with the script that emails the results. The script works but I have been unsuccessful with the email.

Any answers or pointers would be appreciated.