Basic setup + Site Survey questions.

Jarwolf

Alright so, I have a tower that is connected to my router via Ethernet cord. I have the Y cord plugged into my tower and the pineapple Tetra. I have only the ETH cord connected. I have a wifi adapter in which I plugged into the pineapple USB port. This will allow me to connect to the WiFi Client Mode as Wlan2 which will stay active when I start PineAP. One of my questions is, what Interface am I picking when using Site Survey? Generally, id pick  Wlan2 but then the client mode will disconnect. I'll have to see if it allows me to pick Wlan1. Also, when I go to hit capture to my router, it won't let me connect to my router using my phone. It will say "Connecting", "Saved", and "Disabled" for some reason. So, I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong. 

You want to use wlan1 for SiteSurvey.  The reason you can not connect during a capture is the device is being deauthed.  The device would need to be connected prior with auto connect enabled so when the attempt to reconnect happens a handshake can be captured.

8 minutes ago, Cap_Sig said:

You want to use wlan1 for SiteSurvey.  The reason you can not connect during a capture is the device is being deauthed.  The device would need to be connected prior with auto connect enabled so when the attempt to reconnect happens a handshake can be captured.

Okay. I will use wlan1. My devices are set on connect automatically except for the wifi pineapple. Not sure how to set that up to connect automatically as I am connected to my router with the pineapple.

2 hours ago, Jarwolf said:

Okay. I will use wlan1. My devices are set on connect automatically except for the wifi pineapple. Not sure how to set that up to connect automatically as I am connected to my router with the pineapple.

Okay, so just to make sure, on the Y cable, I have to have the ETH cord and the USB cord plugged into the wifi pineapple? Also, under networking tab where it shows Wifi Client Mode, it either says wlan1mon or wlan1 but when I start the PineAP, it will disconnect the Wifi Client Mode. If I go to Site Survey module then look at the Interfaces section it says> Interface:wlan0 and Monitor:wlan1mon. I usually just press Start Monitor as it is the only one in the drop menu. I can click on "Stop Monitor" and then go to drop menu and click wlan1 and click Start Monitor. It then shows back up with interface:wlan0 and Monitor:wlan1mon. I'm not seeing airdump-ng anywhere either. That must have been on the older versions. 

Does PineAP HAVE to be activated for this module? If not then, I can connect to wlan1 or wlan1mon under Networking tab and then do scans lol. I am new to all of this and i'm having a hard time finding any type of documentation for this. I even have an Associates degree in Applied Science for taking Cyber Security and Networking Systems. Still haven't got a damn clue haha.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:09 PM, Jarwolf said:

Okay, so just to make sure, on the Y cable, I have to have the ETH cord and the USB cord plugged into the wifi pineapple?

There are several ways to connect.  I would recommend that you connect a LAN (ethernet connection) to the pineapple for WAN access.  Then connect your y cable to the ETH usb port to connect to the pineapple from your computer and for power.  This is a very simple, basic, and full proof way of connecting.

Also, under networking tab where it shows Wifi Client Mode, it either says wlan1mon or wlan1 but when I start the PineAP

Why do you need wifi client mode?  If you are connecting via ethernet cable then there is no need to connect as a wifi client.

wlan1mon just means that wlan1 has already been started in monitor mode by PineAP or another module.

I usually just press Start Monitor as it is the only one in the drop menu. I can click on "Stop Monitor" and then go to drop menu and click wlan1 and click Start Monitor.

For a wifi adapter to work in this manner it has to be in monitor mode. So if your interface is not already in monitor mode, it is required to start it for the module to work.  I would recommend you do some reading on the aircrack-ng suite and working with wifi adapters in Linux to better understand this.

I even have an Associates degree in Applied Science for taking Cyber Security and Networking Systems. Still haven't got a damn clue haha.

This is helpful but if you did not get experience in Linux then a lot of these things may seem foreign.  It is basically a must to do some research on Linux for a better understanding of how it all works.  It is a simple to understand system once you know the basics of its operation.  

Archived