Internet troubles... Help!

Matt35

After recently attempting to run a few Linux LiveCD's (Ophcrack/Knoppix, just for fun), I noticed that for some reason, while running those, I could no longer connect to my internet connection (wired). After returning to Windows XP, I figured that would fix my connection problems, and low and behold, the problem still existed. It said that my network cable was unplugged, when it in fact wasn't. The weird thing though, was when my Linksys WRT-54G wireless router's "one push easy setup" button started blinking, without me pushing it. After that, I got a notice with WinPatrol that some host file was trying to be changed, but I denied that. After that, I then got a few messages on my firewall saying that my print sharing was trying to access the internet, and that attempts were made to access it from the internet as well, when I don't even have that active... Any ideas to why when I plug up my internet connection now, it no longer shows up? lol

--Matt

You have UPnP enabled?

Checked that, and it seems to be enabled. I know too that it's not the cable, because I plugged it into a laptop, and it worked just fine.

Make sure the adaptor isn't getting powered off by linux when it quits.

How could I check this? I'm not really fluent with Linux, as it shows, which might be why I'm having this problem. All I did was run the two cds, and not really mess with the programs much either, I just noticed that while running the first one (knoppix), my computer couldn't connect to the internet. Any ideas?

--Matt

Make sure the adaptor isn't getting powered off by linux when it quits.

Believe it or not, after everything I tried, I decided to download Ubuntu and boot from it, and then restart, to see if that would fix my problems (just in case linux was in fact powering off my adapter and leaving it that way for some reason), and it works now! Is there any way, for future references, that I can manually power back on my internet adapter, just in case it gets shut off again like it did there in linux, in windows?

--Matt

You could try just going to the device manager, if its set as on, disable it, and then re-enable it. Is the card not seeing any cables plugged into it or is it just failing to get an ip address? (start -> run -> cmd /k ipconfig /all).