signal owl doesn't do a n y t h i n g -

alexcc

I followed Darren's instructions and copy upgrade-1.01.bin to a blank USB 

The firmware upgrade ended with a steady red light and then started blinking slowly indicating attack mode, 

It is impossibe to enter arming mode. I pressed the button during startup but nothing happens.

The device either powers off completely or reboots back into attack mode

Alexcc - 

It's good to hear that you've gotten updated to v1.0.1, however it's concerning that you are unable to enter arming mode. 

Please use the following payload to enter arming mode:
https://github.com/hak5/owl-payloads/blob/master/payloads/library/general/arming-mode/payload.txt

Let us know how that goes.

• 4 months later...
On 9/14/2019 at 2:30 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

Alexcc - 

It's good to hear that you've gotten updated to v1.0.1, however it's concerning that you are unable to enter arming mode. 

Please use the following payload to enter arming mode:
https://github.com/hak5/owl-payloads/blob/master/payloads/library/general/arming-mode/payload.txt

Let us know how that goes.

Doesnt work..same problem for me..followed step-by-step...and after the update, just slow red blink.

• 2 months later...

I have had a similar problem. I can not get any payload to save the output at all. I have been playing with the signal owl for days now and am unable to get it to actually do anything. I can ssh into it and run python in it which is pretty cool. I have to say it would be awesome to get this to work. I love HAK5 and wish Darren would do some damn video on the Signal Owl for us fans who can't seem to get it to work properly. 

I have a similar issue, after I updated my owl, I couldn't get it to work properly, It would do the boot process then eventually go dark, if I push the button on the back, it would go into arming mode, but never attack. even a simple wifi_connect script isn't working....

• 4 weeks later...

I had an issue whereby the payload.txt would not run - the device would power on, go through set up then the LED would go out. I could boot into arming mode and couldn't see wtf I was doing wrong.

chmod a+x payload.txt

It was obvious really but this fixed it. I only got the thing today and only loaded files using scp / ssh I haven't tried via USB yet so I presume that method adds the execute permission to the payload file. either way it works now - hope this helps :)

• 2 months later...

Crap. Just got the Owl yesterday, and I was wondering why nothing worked as expected. Then I found this thread.

I'm in the same boat. Go through all the normal steps, even including the payload option above, and end up with a slow blink. Very disappointing. Has anyone found a way to put this thing into arming mode so that I can connect to it via wifi?

If not, I think it's time to send it back for a refund. I really had high hopes for this, but it doesn't seem ready for production...

Well, I spoke too soon. Just as I finished posting the above, I came across the problem (and solution). Had to go back and start reading all of the prior posts... #smh

Okay, so with firmware 1.0.1, you don't enter arming mode by waiting for that 3-seconds fast flash point. Ignore that. I kept trying to get in there with the button, and the Owl would either reset (loop) or it would proceed to attack mode with no payload, indicated by a slow flash. Turns out in 1.0.1, THAT is when you press the button. Here's the relevant passage:

"Simplified device mode selection. The device now starts in ATTACK mode by default. Enter ARMING mode by pressing the device button at any time while in ATTACK mode."

So, a button press, and I see the pretty little double flash start, and wham, I now have an Owl network. All good for now. Onward!

Archived