Updated Wifi Pineapple Nano and now have no access

dikdronk

Hi,

I updated Nano from my Macbook. It downloaded the update fine through the web portal, seemed to finish the update process, not sure, stayed on the screen with a full progress bar. Waited an hour, then tried to acces the 192.168.2.10 which I set up during the ICS tutorial here, and nothing. Says it can't connect or no internet connection. When I connect directly to the Nano wifi (which has reset from the admin ssid I set, back to the stock ssid) I can not access the web portal with either ip's (192.168.2.10:1471 or 172.16.42.1:1471). Basically seems bricked. I've gotten it back by doing the firmware recovery, tried to update again, and it fails again.

Any ideas?

Need to do a firmware recovery (should put you on version 2.4.x) then an initial configuration.  Don't change anything from the initial configure settings related to the IP.  This is best so we can rule out that you changing IP settings is the source of the problem.

Then do OTA update to 2.6.1 firmware.  

If that does not work post what step failed and any messages or led lights present when so.

More info like current firmware, update version, method used(OTA, manual, serial), etc is very helpful in figuring out what is causing the issue.  

17 hours ago, Cap_Sig said:

Need to do a firmware recovery (should put you on version 2.4.x) then an initial configuration.  Don't change anything from the initial configure settings related to the IP.  This is best so we can rule out that you changing IP settings is the source of the problem.

Then do OTA update to 2.6.1 firmware.  

If that does not work post what step failed and any messages or led lights present when so.

More info like current firmware, update version, method used(OTA, manual, serial), etc is very helpful in figuring out what is causing the issue.  

Thanks for the reply!

I did the firmware recovery, but can't enable ICS without changing the IP, thus can not do the OTA Update. Should I do a manual update instead?

Ok, here is the process I just followed:

Did the recovery process.

Did the setup process.

Current firmware was 2.4.1.

Went to networking tab and connected to my wifi.

Went to advanced and started the OTA update.

Pineapple reboots and my settings seem to be lost as the pineapple reset my SSID to Pineapple78b.

I directly connect to that SSID but I am unable to connect to http://172.16.42.1:1471/

ICS is turned on in my Macbook settings, but as instructed, I did not mess with the IP.

So this is where I am  now.

1 hour ago, dikdronk said:

Ok, I got it working now, sort of.

So what did you find to be the problem for connecting to the nano?

After an update initial configuration will have to be done.  So depending on what settings you changed it is not abnormal to have to do so.

As for the modules, what version firmware did you install the modules on?  It may be best to reformat the card and start with fresh installs if they where done a firmware older than 2.6.x as some users have reported issues with this due to all the major changes that occurred in firmware 2.6.0 requiring most modules to be updated as well.

I am a lot more familiar with the tetra so another user may have better details on this but offering what help I can!

On 9/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, Cap_Sig said:

So what did you find to be the problem for connecting to the nano?

After an update initial configuration will have to be done.  So depending on what settings you changed it is not abnormal to have to do so.

As for the modules, what version firmware did you install the modules on?  It may be best to reformat the card and start with fresh installs if they where done a firmware older than 2.6.x as some users have reported issues with this due to all the major changes that occurred in firmware 2.6.0 requiring most modules to be updated as well.

I am a lot more familiar with the tetra so another user may have better details on this but offering what help I can!

Hi, sorry for the delay, I had some time today to try this again. No go. I formatted the sdcard, put it in the Nano and it does not detect it. It is crazy how hard it is to use it with a mac.

• 2 years later...

I encountered a strange bug with the nano.

So, had a functional nano - still do from what I can tell. Did a factory rest, no big deal - updated to latest firmware after. Reason why I did all this: Problem with Papers and dependencies (no other modules, all installed fine on 2.5). Thought I'd try to trouble shoot, yknow - revert, test, update, test.

Everything was going smoothly, then I went to install those dependencies again. After that, well, now my device just won't allow access - and is acting all kinds of finnicky. Won't function in certain usb ports, not broadcasting ap's; and worth noting, when it does broadcast the mgmt point, I still can't reach the portal. Had no issues with it before; maaaaybe a little touchy with the captive portal mod.

Gonna try another rest if I can't get this to work, re-update - one thing I will note is that I wasn't connected to the net for the actual dependency installation at the time i pushed the button, so, maybe some issue there - unless something else comes to mind I don't know about?

If not resolved or similar, can make a new post - but while combing the forums this one seemed relevant so, I thought it was appropriate here. Sorry on the revival.

And yes I've tried setting it to the 42.42/24.

Archived