is the AWUS036ACH (RTL8812AU) wireless adapter compatible?

hamplap

I've recently purchased a signal owl and have had some success just using the internal 2.4GHz radio.

However I'd now like to step things up and use my AWUS036ACH (RTL8812AU) however I'm not sure how to set this adapter up as an interface (I'm new to OpenWRT).

Currently the device shows up in lsusb as expected however it does not appear if I run ip addr or ifconfig.

What's the process for setting up an adapter up in OpenWRT?

Is this particular adapter supported? Do I need to install a driver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• 1 month later...

I am also interested to know.

I know with other devices it struggles, installing drivers for the 8812au chip is a big pain, there's a few ways to do it but none of them ever worked for me when I tried it, e.g. when I tried to use it for Kali.

You can try doing a normal driver install for it, treating the Owl as a normal OpenWRT device and doing it that way but I have my doubts. Might be easier just to step back a generation and use 802.11b/g/n.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:40 AM, Dave-ee Jones said:

You can try doing a normal driver install for it, treating the Owl as a normal OpenWRT

Could you direct me to any instructions on how this is typically done?

On 10/17/2019 at 8:40 AM, Dave-ee Jones said:

I know with other devices it struggles, installing drivers for the 8812au chip is a big pain, there's a few ways to do it but none of them ever worked for me when I tried it, e.g. when I tried to use it for Kali.

There's no need to install drivers with Kali, works out of the box

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 7:53 AM, Foxtrot said:

No, we don't include the 8812AU driver in the firmware. I'd recommend staying away from that chipset until the driver improves. 

Echo this statement.

The 8812AU chipset has given me a myriad of headaches under KALI and ParrotSec. What a pain in the ass chipset / driver combo.

The driver itself is a frankenstein creation and has buggy support, hangs and crashes the system, can't inject properly, just a royal PITA.

Shame since it can do dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz as well as AC but nu bueno for now. Stay away for sure.

Archived