I want to become a free webhost! How?

hsncorrosion

Linux and FreeBSD are free.

Is there one for windows?

Windows and Free don't go in the same sentence.

To anyone interested in doing something like this it's going to take a lot of hard work, your own cash, and a nice phatty pipe to handle any significant amount of traffic.  My suggestion is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and rethink this one.

When you're running a server on a line, it's the UPLOAD speed that matters (and if this really is an 8MBit ADSL line it means you have 1 MBit upload at best, which would suck).

He could have 2.5MBits up with Annex M but that would still fall short

Personally, having ran a personal free hosting service in the past, Aingealfire :P  I would seriously advise against it.

It gobbles up bandwidth and when its automatic sign up it expands FAST.

After a while I limited mine to only hosting people I knew but it was still a massive pain in the ass. Either people were uploading shit that would get ME in trouble or it was drawing a lot of unwanted interest from hacklings.

If you're gonna run a server, run it for your self, maybe a friend or two but anything more than that and its not worth the time, cost, effort, bandwidth and headache that comes with it.