I want to become a free webhost! How?

hsncorrosion

I found this at www.dslwebserver.com

Wanna be your own Webhost?

Webhost Free - Allows you to become a simple webhost. "WebHost Free is basically a CGI script that allows you to become your own Geocities. It allows you to automatically accept user signups and uploading from the Web."

But the link does not work because the site is down.

http://www.myidealscript.com/

Does anyone know of a freeware or opensource solution to becoming a web host?

(it would of course be hosted on a much more powerful machine, and faster internet than my game server)

here try this http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Many people know from their own experience that it's not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl.

XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

I found it good and easy to use :)

Yeah, don't piss about with that script. It will take you less than a day to turn any old PC into a FreeBSD hosting solution that will be rock solid.

I guess what I'm really looking for at the moment is a free hosting app. Somthing to support just a few users. and run on windows xp pro.

If anyone knows of a soulution like this please post here. Thanx

I guess what I'm really looking for at the moment is a free hosting app. Somthing to support just a few users. and run on windows xp pro.

If anyone knows of a soulution like this please post here. Thanx

FreeBSD in VMware with bridged network interface, if you can manage to make it listen properly.

Hmm.... Im not sure if you guys understand what I'm looking for, I don't want to host a web server, I want to host a web hosting service.

How are you going to be a web host if you don't have at least one web server?

Hmm... I see your point.

Well I have heard of apps that come with everything in them. Server, Cpanel, Ect.

Do you know of somthing like that? The one I found was taken offline.

XAMMP is damn good, but I wouldn't recommend using Windows with apache. Yes it works, but only in the same way a sports car can technically pull a farm truck.

Did you just call windows a sports car?

Yup, flashy, expensive, does one thing very well and sucks for serious brute force work.

Hmm... I see your point.

Well I have heard of apps that come with everything in them. Server, Cpanel, Ect.

Do you know of somthing like that? The one I found was taken offline.

FreeBSD + Apache22, MySQL, PHP, vsftpd & Webalizer + Webmin & Virtualmin GPL = webserver with a nice simple web interface that allows you to do virtual hosting on a secure platform that is easy to install and maintain. It takes me less than 6 hrs to build one and it works like a charm. I should really do a tutorial or something as I have pretty much every step from the install, to the custom kernel and the firewall sorted.

I should really do a tutorial or something as I have pretty much every step from the install, to the custom kernel and the firewall sorted.

I think that would be an excellent idea seeing as how there are so many linux tuts, a freebsd would one be great.

I know alot of people dish on windows, but I run a WAMPP server on a stripped down version of server2003, and it is rock solid, the only time I've ever restarted was for those silly windows updates

This is what I did, I will go into more detail later:

- Install FreeBSD

- Post Install Config

- Boot & portsnap fetch extract/update:

- Setup CVSup stable-supfile

- Upgrade everything

- Install screen and pstree

- Edit & compile custom kernel options, ie quota

- Reboot

- Install Lynx-ssl

- Install MySQL

- Edit Apache22 Makefile & Enable Suexec

- Install Apache22

- Install PHP

- Install PHP Extensions

- Install vsftpd

- Install Webmin

- Install Usermin

- Install phpMyAdmin

- Install Munin

- Install Webalizer

- Install Logrotate

- Install MRTG

- Install Virtualmin

- Install Webmin vsftpd - modual

- Install Portsentry

- Install Hostsentry

- Install Logcheck

- Enable IPFW

I've probally missed a step or 2.

To clarify some of my previous comments about windows, its not that it makes a bad server, its just that you should be using IIS on it, not apache. IMHO. They do 2 different things, and should be treated as such.

This is what I did, I will go into more detail later:

- Install FreeBSD

- Post Install Config

- Boot & portsnap fetch extract/update:

- Setup CVSup stable-supfile

- Upgrade everything

- Install screen and pstree

- Edit & compile custom kernel options, ie quota

- Reboot

- Install Lynx-ssl

- Install MySQL

- Edit Apache22 Makefile & Enable Suexec

- Install Apache22

- Install PHP

- Install PHP Extensions

- Install vsftpd

- Install Webmin

- Install Usermin

- Install phpMyAdmin

- Install Munin

- Install Webalizer

- Install Logrotate

- Install MRTG

- Install Virtualmin

- Install Webmin vsftpd - modual

- Install Portsentry

- Install Hostsentry

- Install Logcheck

- Enable IPFW

I've probally missed a step or 2.

To clarify some of my previous comments about windows, its not that it makes a bad server, its just that you should be using IIS on it, not apache. IMHO. They do 2 different things, and should be treated as such.

What part of this is the php hosting script? I have figured out how to run a php server, If I can get a web hosting php script (that allows user signup, managment, ect.) that would be great.

(Also I do know how to run iis on winxp pro)

• 5 months later...

hey there, i thought instead of adding another topic into the crampt forums, id start by replying to this, as i would love to do this, but runnnig a linux distro, i have one Vista machine, and just know it would be stupid to Run xampp on it and install some apps. . .

So im buying a seperate machine. .  first question is

What are the minamum specs i need to have this server up and running to host a couple of websites? (hardware wise)

and i have 8mbps Internet connection download speed.

and second, what is the best linux distro to have say XAmpp running for a web server?

cheers godsdead.

here try this http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Many people know from their own experience that it's not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl.

XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

I found it good and easy to use :)

I can't believe I let this one pass the first time...

LAMP is SO FUCKING EASY!!!!!!! http://www.howtoforge.org Point and click tutorials or, use ubuntu one click install.(if security is not a must)

hey there, i thought instead of adding another topic into the crampt forums, id start by replying to this, as i would love to do this, but runnnig a linux distro, i have one Vista machine, and just know it would be stupid to Run xampp on it and install some apps. . .

So im buying a seperate machine. .  first question is

What are the minamum specs i need to have this server up and running to host a couple of websites? (hardware wise)

and i have 8mbps Internet connection download speed.

and second, what is the best linux distro to have say XAmpp running for a web server?

cheers godsdead.

Get Debian it's very user friendly...

the netinst disk for etch (the testing version) is http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-bu...st/i386/iso-cd/

and the rock solid (stable version) is here http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r0/i386/iso-cd/

both are for the i386 platform if you're using a diffrent build you can get the ones you need here http://www.us.debian.org/CD/netinst/

to add to the suggestions... you need a server... I've found that running e-smith server from contribs.org works great for most things... and you can host many what they call ibays or information bays.

hsn, if I understand correctly, you want to be able to host a hosting service, right?  you could just purchase a ton of server sapce out there and resell it, but then that usually gets in the way of AUPs. (companies don''t typically allow you to resell).

If we are missing your point then can you try to clarify what it is you need?

-Manuel

i have 8mbps Internet connection download speed.

I really, REALLY hope you made a typo on this one. Coz it sounds like you have an 8MBit ADSL line at home, and want to run a server from it. This is nice for family pictures and some blog nobody will EVER read, but if you want to reach an audience even somewhat reliably it falls way, way short of what is needed here.

When you're running a server on a line, it's the UPLOAD speed that matters (and if this really is an 8MBit ADSL line it means you have 1 MBit upload at best, which would suck).

i have 8mbps Internet connection download speed.

I really, REALLY hope you made a typo on this one. Coz it sounds like you have an 8MBit ADSL line at home, and want to run a server from it. This is nice for family pictures and some blog nobody will EVER read, but if you want to reach an audience even somewhat reliably it falls way, way short of what is needed here.

When you're running a server on a line, it's the UPLOAD speed that matters (and if this really is an 8MBit ADSL line it means you have 1 MBit upload at best, which would suck).

Exactly what I was going to say. You need ha-yooooooooge pipes for this kinda thing and as Cooper said for next to no traffic you can get away with 1Mb (or less) upload... not that it'll be spectacularly fast but it will just about work. Any more than 1 or 2 people on at a time though and it'll fall apart real quick.