Shal We Make A Hak.5 Linux Distro?  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, Install Version
    • Yes, Live CD
    • Yes, Install And Live CD Version
    • Not Sure
    • Your Talking Shit /v\elodic =D

i have no experience in doing this, just a idea.

maybe we (forum & irc members) could make a custom linux distro for hak.5 like all the tools n progs they use for the show. customised gnome or kde skin and every thing.

i would love to help but i have no experience in making/compling linux lol im a n00b 2 linux :P but im learning fast and i think this would be a great oppertunity where i can and many others can learn about the innards of linux :P

please post thoughts n comments or just tell me im talking shit :P :wink:

A few months ago we were brainstorming about the season1 dvd and thought it would be cool to include in the package (along with season1, bonus features, and printed show notes & build plans), a Hak.5 live security distribution.

However, in the interest of not reinventing the wheel, my vote goes to endorsing nUbuntu Live. We're big fans of that distro over here.

Dear fucking christ! NOT ANOTHER LINUX DISTO! please!

I have this theory that microsoft is just waiting for the linux community to collapse under its own weight, and that the resulting blackhole will take out its supporters.

im with vako on this one.. why another linux distro.. i mean honestly. what more do you need. you have all the live cds you could ever want. you have like fucking 15 easy to use stable desktop linux systems tailored to noobs..

bsd ftw.

How would Linux suddernly collapse? Last year RedHat's revinue had more the doubled from last year, if RedHat's income has increased by such a huge amount, surly that means that Linux (at least RedHat :wink:) is on it's way up. Although, realisticly (and this is almost blasphamy), Linux dose not realy have a place on the desktop, yes you can use it, but it's still too over difficult for the avarage user. How ever, Linux is dominating the server market (no supprise there), but, unfortunatly, Windows is also growing on servers, this is becasue asp is "better" then php, perl and python combined (total bollocks). The real reason windows is growing on to servers is becasue it's the people at the top that pay for it that deside what the server is going to be running, these poeple usaly know less about computers in general then a dead squiral. I point you to a today Digg artical (asuming it's not fake): http://www.thedailywtf.com/forums/65974/ShowPost.aspx, insted of fixing the huge security hole in the system, the manager just said "don't copy and paste stuff"...

It was a physics joke... wrong crowd?

My first introduction to linux was a article in some pc rag announching that linux was ready for the desktop. This was in the mid-90's... The free cd that came with it said it would safetly partition your hard drive from windows. Trouble was i was already dual booting 95 and NT, so it fubar'd the lot lol.

Main reason windows is growing on servers is because of active directory. Although never underestimate managment's ability to fuck a good thing up. If you don't lock down windows, your gonna get shafted, same with *nix.

I'm one of those types that will actually call a spade, a spade. The one thing microsoft has over linux? Its a package. You can market it. And the whole thing is made by one company. The real IT world, where you have 30000 computers, and CANNOT afford downtime, needs what MS has to offer, which is a tightly intergrated package for both server and desktop with lots of support.

Plus, at the end of the day, they know exactly who to sue if it all goes titsup.

Once you have it installed them, everything else is easy (for the average desktop user)

games?...

I did kind of see the physics joke, but it's not much of a joke, it's more of interpritable, I think you where refering to a (waht i know it as, although it's probably called some thing else) the godzilla theory.

[HYPERFOCUS!]

Godzzila is suposably a mutated modern repile (not a dinasaw), how ever, this theory does not work, becasue, for example, although one human can support it's own wight, if you put another 10 humans on it, what happens? The bottom human gets crushed. The same applie for any object, one bail of hayt can support it's self, but it cannot support another 10 ontop of it. So, the point is that Godzila would litraly brake it's legs under it's own body wight.

[/HYPERFOCUS!]

Excuse the spelling, I see getting my ideas across more important then spelling, i do take more care on my gramma how ever.

I don't think there is any sense in doing a hak.5 linux distro unless you had something to offer that you couldn't get on some other distro. But it would have to be significant. There are a million live distro's out there that have a fuck load of good shit on them, hacking tools, etc.

In order to compete with them you would have to include so many extra things that it is worth downloading an ISO and going through the trouble of burning it and running your computer at reduced speeds. If the live distro only has one or two unique things, the users may as well just download those one or two things that they want and run them on their computer.

Personally I think it would be a waste of time, unless you can convince TomB to slap a hak.5 wallpaper on nUbuntu and just use that, because that's pretty much the best live distro I've seen to date.

I can see it now.

PHB: "So this big, EXPENSIVE server is running nicely I gather?"

TECH: "Oh yes, sir. It's a godsend for us."

PHB: "And it's running that leenooks thingamajig, yes?"

TECH: "Absolutely. We're running Hak.5 Linux on it."

PHB: "What?"

TECH: "Hak.5 Linux. It's really great. It's got all this prepacka..."

PHB: "Hack point five?? HACK?!? This is a PRODUCTION server!"

TECH: "I kno..."

PHB: "We have clear rules set up in this department about hacking, do we not?"

TECH: "Yes, but sir I..."

PHB: "So how about you install just regular leenooks on that system in the next hour or so, or you can go empty out your desk."

TECH: "But sir! We are run..."

PHB: "Didn't I just make myself PERFECTLY clear?"

TECH: "Yes sir. Right away sir."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 pm

I can see it now.

PHB: "So how about you install just regular leenooks on that system in the next hour or so, or you can go empty out your desk."

tech: "where are those OS/2 discs? and my coat?"

IMO Gnome and KDE are actually too bloated to use on LiveCDs and push the minimum requirements sky high. XFCE, Englightenment, or Fluxbox would be better choices.

Also, I don't think Hak.5 has used enough "tools" on Linux to warrent a LiveCD based on the tools they have used.

I could rebrand nUbuntu with some Hak.5 stuff. But my time is pressed with making the actual release. So I would only do it if people want it/would use it.

IMO Gnome and KDE are actually too bloated to use on LiveCDs and push the minimum requirements sky high. XFCE, Englightenment, or Fluxbox would be better choices.

Also, I don't think Hak.5 has used enough "tools" on Linux to warrent a LiveCD based on the tools they have used.

I could rebrand nUbuntu with some Hak.5 stuff. But my time is pressed with making the actual release. So I would only do it if people want it/would use it.

i would love a hak5 branded release :P

What WOULD be a good idea is to have some kind of Hak.5 desktop theme on there. Someone makes a sweet background, and someone else incorporates that art into their fav. windowsmanager, beit KWM, Sawfish/Metawhateveritscallednow, XFCE, E, Fluxbox or whatever their WM of choice is.

*THAT* would be some compelling and REALLY COOL extra stuff to add to the DVD.

I think that basically what people want, and correct me if i'm wrong, is just a hak.5 branded distro. Nothing new, but just more or less something like nubuntu with a hack.5 wallpaper or something like that, basically just a desktop theme. Correct me if you totally disagree with any of this, but people don't seem to be saying i wish nubuntu had this or backtrack had that.

Just an idea, mabey TomB could make a special release of nubuntu for the dvd. This way it's not a whole heap of extra work (i think anyway) to just make an intermediate release for the dvd. Perhaps a nice hak.5 wallpaper, set hak5.org as the defaul homepage for firefox and perhaps include anything new that had been developed since the last release. That way nothing exceptional that has to be done except for basically a re-release of nubuntu.

But basically I guess the people have to want it. Why make something that people are never going to burn and use.

Everyone said it a million times already, there are a million distros already and it's not that hard to just download a pic and go desktop ----> background ----> select:hak5.png

even i probably wouldn't even use it, (nothing against nubuntu, TomB does good work, i just like other distros and don't really like xfce, pretty buttons ftw ;))

Just throwing ideas around

What does everyone think about that, particularly TomB cos it's basically him who would have to do all the work :)

I would basically use the Hak.5 version as a testing platform for changes. Which is what I did for the Shmoocon version, (yes I made a nUbuntu just for mubix to give out at Shmoocon).

I think I would like to try out Enlightenment on the release, I myself can't do the graphical things such as wallpaper, someone else would have to do this stuff.

If people would like the idea, please message me on the forums, with your ideas.

a live cd? nah. go for n00buntu (heh heh)

A fully featured Desktop OS would be fun. But the questions arises: what would be new about it?

er...

i suppose media support could be supplied as default. Ive noticed on most O.S's one has to install the extra codecs,mplayer,vlc and xine media software after the install. SuSe provides a crippled version of the xine codec. Its shit tho no libdvdcss so no dvd support.

Make switching between window managers more transparent. I believe suse had a drop down box where it would detect what window managers u had. They got rid of it tho b about version 9.3

intergrate the updates. most open source progs have a cvs or svn system. should be easy to allow an automatic install and upgrade. Like the bsd ports system.

nick (babblefish: steal) the firewall from openBSD

anything else?

I can see it now.

rofl :lol:

i'd really want a linux live cd that doesn't lockup on my system ......

fo r one or another reason my pc don't like linux live cd's , i tryed lost of em but the furthest i ever got was the desktop b4 it locks up and i can crash reboot (might b the low ram on this old box (128mb).......

anyway knoppix variants lockup b4 getting to the desktop

ubuntu live disks get to the desktop but don't try running anything or it locksup ...

i am clueless ....