Jump to content
AngryPeanut

Issues with the Signal Owl

Recommended Posts

Hello,

The following happened (TLDR version at the bottom):

1. I added the WiFi payload and left it pointed to wlan0. I added a second wireless dongle and proceeded to boot into into attack mode. When it booted and it used wlan1, but ssh did not work.

2. I turned off the signal owl, removed the wireless dongle, and booted up again. I made sure that the payload still points to wlan0. Sure enough it connected, and ssh still did not work.

3. I thought maybe me adding a wireless dongle messed up something, so I decided to start from scratch. I flashed the firmware per the instructions in the documentation.

4. When it came up , I put the wifi payload back on.

5. Now it will not boot into attack mode anymore. Instead, the LED will just remain solid after the SELECT mode. I can only put it back in arming mode. Anytime I try to reboot/powercycle, it goes back to a solid red light.

6. I tried to reflash it, but this time it just goes straight to arming mode and ignores the USB drive.  I don't know what else to do at this point. I made sure to use the USB port that is marked as the host port. I even tried the passthrough port for the hell of it.

 

TLDR version:

ssh didn't work, so I reflashed it. Now it won't boot into attack mode at all nor will it see the USB drive. can still use it in arming mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it looks like it finally died on me. I tried to replace files from the original image manually, and now it will no longer boot. I contacted Hak5 for a replacement / further assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sucks man. Id like to know from Hak5 if there is any way to factory default the device with just power and the button. like holding it down during boot for 30 secs or something.

"Oh voice from the sky, Darren Kitchen, any advice" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sect10n_9 said:

That sucks man. Id like to know from Hak5 if there is any way to factory default the device with just power and the button. like holding it down during boot for 30 secs or something.

"Oh voice from the sky, Darren Kitchen, any advice" 

This is my first Hak5 device so I wasn't sure if that was common among their products. Are their other devices like that? or can they normally be reset back to factory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have a Wifi Pineapple and the Packet Squirrel.  They do have reset options.  The signal Owl seems like it was released too quickly.  Maybe they'll provide some updates in the near future.  I did have a bad experience with the Keysy RFID cloner though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vepr said:

I also have a Wifi Pineapple and the Packet Squirrel.  They do have reset options.  The signal Owl seems like it was released too quickly.  Maybe they'll provide some updates in the near future.  I did have a bad experience with the Keysy RFID cloner though.

It would be nice to be able to do a physical reset at least.

OpenWRT does have built-in reset command called "firstboot". I didn't use that command because I wasn't sure if it was supported by Hak5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's been about 5 days since I last heard anything from the Hak5 customer service about my support ticket. Is it possible to get a replacement for my signal owl? I just want to make sure this didn't fall between the cracks.

I'd really love to give it another go with the upcoming firmware update I read about in other threads (especially with the wlan0/1 issues). I have GPS/Bluetooth/wireless receivers coming in soon just for this. also, I'm probably going to order more Hak5 products now that I've had a taste of Hak5 gadgets.

Thank you for your time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AngryPeanut said:

So it's been about 5 days since I last heard anything from the Hak5 customer service about my support ticket. Is it possible to get a replacement for my signal owl? I just want to make sure this didn't fall between the cracks.

Did you look at the documentation page? At https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/categories/360002117953-Signal-Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jtyle6 said:

Did you look at the documentation page? At https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/categories/360002117953-Signal-Owl

Yes I have. Unfortunately, the signal owl is stuck in the boot phase and will not move any further. Because of that I am not able to update or reset the firmware either and I have no access to the command line what so ever. In my ticket I asked if I can get it replaced or at least send it in to get it reimaged.

Also - See my previous replies to this thread to see more details on each step.

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AngryPeanut -

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you're having. Please see your support ticket for further assistance. 

 

To anyone else having issues getting into SSH via Arming Mode - please note that on first boot into arming mode it may take several minutes for SSH keys to be generated. So if you can ping 172.16.56.1 but can't SSH into port 22, please be patient and try again in a few minutes.

Also, please do not modify the firmware image files - bad things can easily happen by doing that. 

I've posted a video that should address some of the more common questions re: getting started at 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 4:46 PM, vepr said:

I also have a Wifi Pineapple and the Packet Squirrel.  They do have reset options.  The signal Owl seems like it was released too quickly.  Maybe they'll provide some updates in the near future.  I did have a bad experience with the Keysy RFID cloner though.

I've got a Pineapple, pretty sure the problems I've had are self induced, but the reset is nice.  No problems with my Bashbunny or my friends' rabbit.  My Kesys ( not a hak5 product ) has been bullet proof.  I'm just starting to get to know the owl and so far seems any problems are also of my own doing.  Contact to Hak5 has been spectacular, on a number of different Media.  Kinda like the anti-comcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received mine yesterday.  Been trying to get it to go half of last night, most of today.   As soon as I got,  I downloaded the new firmware, I placed that onto a USB stick, then placed that in the signals host port. plugged it into power, waited till the flashing LEDs displayed, held down the button, let go, waited 20 minutes as it seemed to stop doing anything other than long 3 seconds off, 2 seconds on (ERR) message.  No Wifi at all.  I added a payload, nothing happened.  I tried to get it into arming mode.  Its the only thing I haven't seen, double flashing lights.  It usually just ends up in Error, but it also goes to NO LED at all for extended periods.  So Im not sure what the hell is going on.   Ive tried multiple presses on SELECT, Ive tried Long presses on select, short ones, double taps, tripple taps.  

Nothing seems to get this puppy out of box. I think its time to put in a ticket, but it pains me to do so, cos my first pineapple had similar issues with not being quite all there at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VK2WAR said:

I received mine yesterday.  Been trying to get it to go half of last night, most of today.   As soon as I got,  I downloaded the new firmware, I placed that onto a USB stick, then placed that in the signals host port. plugged it into power, waited till the flashing LEDs displayed, held down the button, let go, waited 20 minutes as it seemed to stop doing anything other than long 3 seconds off, 2 seconds on (ERR) message.  No Wifi at all.  I added a payload, nothing happened.  I tried to get it into arming mode.  Its the only thing I haven't seen, double flashing lights.  It usually just ends up in Error, but it also goes to NO LED at all for extended periods.  So Im not sure what the hell is going on.   Ive tried multiple presses on SELECT, Ive tried Long presses on select, short ones, double taps, tripple taps.  

Nothing seems to get this puppy out of box. I think its time to put in a ticket, but it pains me to do so, cos my first pineapple had similar issues with not being quite all there at all.  

I suggest you open a new thread so people can follow along with your issue and properly troubleshoot it. Not everyone will see your reply here since it's further down the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...