V3 Upgrade Stuck

ToxicAtomicDog

The is not network connection active while in this mode. Cannot ssh into it. I have tried powering it down, removing the USB drive and powering up again. It seems to be working but still running version 2.0. Next thing I've tried is reformat_usb. This causes the PS to reboot and get stuck with the light flashing green, remember the USB drive is still plugged in. Once again powering down, remove USB and boot again, still version 2.

Did you follow the instructions on this Page?

To install the latest firmware:

1. Download the upgrade file. Make sure that the filename is upgrade-version.bin (where version is the firmware version, e.g. 1.2) and check that the SHA-256 sum matches.
  2. Copy the upgrade file to the root of an NTFS or EXT4 formatted USB flash drive. Do not rename, unpack or otherwise alter this file.
  3. Plug the USB drive into the powered-off Packet Squirrel
  4. Flip the Packet Squirrel payload select switch to Arming mode (far right, closest to the USB flash drive)
  5. Power on the Packet Squirrel from a reliable USB power source. This process takes 5-10 minutes and will be indicated by a series of LED lights. Do not power-off or otherwise interrupt the device until the flashing process completes.

During the firmware flashing process, the LED will indicate the following states:

1. Green flashing – booting up
  2. Red/Blue alternating – beginning firmware flash
  3. Solid Red or Blue – firmware flash in progress
  4. Green flashing – rebooting
  5. Blue flashing – upgrade complete, arming mode ready

17 hours ago, Jtyle6 said:

Did you follow the instructions on this Page?

Yes I did.

16 hours ago, luke776 said:

Confirm the file system type on your USB - NTFS or EXT4.   

I have tried both NTFS and EXT4.

My latest attempt was using NTFS. I verified the SHA256 checksum with the file on the USB drive. The update started OK up until the solid blue light. It went off just a few minutes after starting the boot process and now the light flashes dim white every 9 seconds or so. From starting boot up until now has been 30 minutes.

Are you sure the switch is all the way closest to the USB thumb drive port?  

Are you able to login to the squirrel from the LAN side and run a uname -a to see what version is running now?

Is it not coming up to your C2 Cloud server after you load the device.config into /etc?

Was it working before on C2 Cloud or as a standalone device?

2 hours ago, luke776 said:

Are you able to login to the squirrel from the LAN side and run a uname -a to see what version is running now?

There's easyer way to do it. 

Just 

cat VERSION

In /. 

9 hours ago, luke776 said:

Are you sure the switch is all the way closest to the USB thumb drive port?  

Is it not coming up to your C2 Cloud server after you load the device.config into /etc?

Was it working before on C2 Cloud or as a standalone device?

Yes the switch is all the way closest to the USB port. Logging and running uname -a shows,

Linux squirrel 3.18.45 #13 Mon Oct 1 22:12:42 UTC 2018 mips GNU/Linux

While running cat VERSION shows,

I have not even trying connecting to the C2 Cloud.

@Foxtrot Im having the same issue.  After upgrading to 3.0, Im getting shotty results.  Sometimes it will connect in arming mode and other times it wont.  TCPdump payload is not working or giving results.  Is there any sort of debug I could do to help you guys out with this?

For anyone facing this issue - I recommend following these two steps for recovery and upgrade to v3.1 - which includes a few bug fixes/enhancements.

1. Firmware Recovery
https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010554753-How-do-I-reset-the-device-or-recover-its-firmware-

2. Manual Upgrade
https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360034848353-Manual-Upgrade

Also - with all Hak5 gear that loads payloads from USB it's important that the drive is formatted with a single partition. Some USB flash disks (often Sandisk) ship with no partition table, rather the entire device formatted with a file system. Your systems disk utility should provide insight on this front.

• 1 year later...

tried to upgrade firmware to 3.2 after unboxing.  never got any of the lights described only a white slow flash.  tried other usb drives (was using san disk).  stil just white slow blink regardless if i have usb plugged in.  The big kick in the teeth is now i cant access it via ethernet either so Im at a loss for how to recover.

30 minutes ago, Th0r said:

tried to upgrade firmware to 3.2 after unboxing.  never got any of the lights described only a white slow flash.  tried other usb drives (was using san disk).  stil just white slow blink regardless if i have usb plugged in.  The big kick in the teeth is now i cant access it via ethernet either so Im at a loss for how to recover.

Did you already try https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010554753-How-do-I-reset-the-device-or-recover-its-firmware-

then https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360034848353-Manual-Upgrade

as Darren say in the post above yours.

Archived