imsplitbit

Recovery / Reset

My power went out during the initial firmware upgrade and now the owl just has a veeeeeeery slow red blink and no wifi is being presented.  Is there a recovery method?

• Like 1

Ya I had the same issue, the blinking lights threw me off and i just realized i unplugged it while it was updating, am i just bricked now?

Ya I had a similar issue, is there no work around?  The blinking lights and select mode all threw me off and I realized after i unplugged it during the firmware flash...

On 8/12/2019 at 8:10 AM, gioCando said:

i downgraded back to 2.5.4 from 2.6.0 following the suggested procedure 

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

but the TETRA never reset, and it's with yellow led on, not answering to any wire nor wireless tentatives:

What should i do to restart properly?
many thanks

These are instructions for the Pineapple, not the Signal Owl.  I’m not sure if this will work in your cases.  Has anyone tried and confirmed this?

On 8/13/2019 at 1:10 AM, gioCando said:

i downgraded back to 2.5.4 from 2.6.0 following the suggested procedure 

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

but the TETRA never reset, and it's with yellow led on, not answering to any wire nor wireless tentatives:

What should i do to restart properly?
many thanks

Wrong device mate. This for Signal Owl. You need look here.

Is there a timing on this/these types of steps? Something like "expect this pattern" or even a simple video showing the speed of the different flashing.

Finding the timing on when to do the Firmware flash button push was interesting.  Waiting for the "Fast flashing" was not what/when I expected it.  I found someone who said there's a fast flash, a slower flash, a solid on, then a REALLY fast flash, which is when you push to go to firmware flash mode, which seems to work, but I think I unplugged too soon also so I'm re-doing it.  This time it took 2 mins before I'm at a slow single flash, but not really slow, so I'm not sure if I'm in Arming mode or error mode.  ( I just redownloaded the firmware )  This time I'm going to give it a good 30 mins to make sure.

From:  https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360033503954-LED-Status-Indications

Red blinking, red fast blinking and red slow blinking isn't as descriptive as I could use.

On 8/11/2019 at 6:23 AM, imsplitbit said:

My power went out during the initial firmware upgrade and now the owl just has a veeeeeeery slow red blink and no wifi is being presented.  Is there a recovery method?

Hi imsplitbitI have the same problem, did you get back your Owl? I would appreciate any information that you can share with me. Best regards.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:14 PM, Darren Kitchen said:

Holding the button for 7 seconds will reset the password and network configuration to defaults. 

Hi Darren, is there a way to do a factory reset to the Signal Owl? Thank you, best regards.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:04 AM, NazgulAngmar said:

Hi imsplitbitI have the same problem, did you get back your Owl? I would appreciate any information that you can share with me. Best regards.

Did you guys get a resolution? It sounds like once the device is "bricked", it's only good for hardware reuse. I had the same issue - 3 minutes into my initial firmware upgrade the power dropped and apparently there's no recovery. Since the device is relatively "cheap", I'll re-order and try one more time. As for the initial "bricked" device. I'm sure I can find use for the hardware, so I'll just crack it open. Unless you guys found a solution?  

• Like 1

Are you guys sure it's completely "bricked"?

I'm having some issues with mine whee I can't get a payload to transfer from usb storage to the device.  It was working at one point but for some reason it is not so I too am looking for a reset solution of some type.

But not being able to load a payload or firmware from usb storage doesn't mean it's not working.  I am still able to get it into arming mode and I can SSH into it and navigate the directories.

I can 'cat' the payload to see it's not the same one I have on the usb and I can manually 'cp' and 'rd' the loot files.

But other than that it's really not working correctly if I can't flash or replace a payload...  so I need a reset solution.

I agree that it's relatively cheap and I too am going to order another one or two to keep playing with.

• Like 1

I have 2 from my initial order that exhibiting the same symptoms. Hoping there is a way to 'unbrick' these as they do seem to show signs of life, just can't seem to get them running normally.