Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
L07TB0Y

anyone else having issues getting signal owl to work?

Recommended Posts

I just picked it up at DEFCON and did the firmware upgrade that I think went fine it is not really clear what the difference between blinking and single blinking. May be if it had different color LEDs for different modes it would have beeb better. Any way so do I press the button at the bottom (not very good place as you can't see the led when you have to flip it over to press the button) as soon as I plug it in or do I wait for the led to start blinking and then press the button? how do I know that the owl is in ready state? I have tried many different ways and the led starts to blink very fast but OWL SSID never shows up. May be I have a bad OWL ūüôā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took me a while, but eventually got it. Have to time the button push to when it starts to blink really fast, or just before that. When you put it into arming mode (click button once when starting after flashing and restarting), it will expose a WiFi you can connect to and SSH to the device to copy payloads/etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as flashing/reboot works, I unplugged it, plugged it back in, waited for super-fast blinks (or just before) then hit the button to get it in arming mode. Once it’s in arming mode (2 short blinks) then it has a wireless network exposed you can connect to (and ssh to device once you connect). Key is to hit button at right time to get it to go into (double-blink) arming mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get my device to get through the initial setup. I formatted into fat32 and plugged it into the slot next to the pig tale. The device will show the drive but it will not flash the bin file and complete the set up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that I generally really like the Hak5 devices that I have bought, but this Signal Owl is extremely frustrating.  I regret buying it.  I am not even going to bother messing with this thing anymore.  I have wasted enough time on it already.  Don't bother buying the Signal Own.  It feels like an Alpha product.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggled for some time with mine.  I was interpreting the instructions to mean that the first flashing sequence was the SELECT mode.  It seems that the first blinking sequence that lasts like 10-15 seconds is the booting.  Then a solid red light for maybe 5 seconds or a touch longer even, *THEN* it does the fast blink which appears to be the 3 second SELECT mode.  I was hitting the button during the boot.

Maybe that's apparent to others, but I F'ed around with the thing for some time before I got that down.  Then I was able to flash it and then repeat that SELECT mode to get to ARMING mode after the update/upgrade.  From there the SSID was up and I ssh'ed in, changed root password and then set the network up with a different ESSID and encrypted.

In case it helps anyone else save some time...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 1:59 AM, Dregnaught said:

As soon as flashing/reboot works, I unplugged it, plugged it back in, waited for super-fast blinks (or just before) then hit the button to get it in arming mode. Once it’s in arming mode (2 short blinks) then it has a wireless network exposed you can connect to (and ssh to device once you connect). Key is to hit button at right time to get it to go into (double-blink) arming mode.

This is the best advise. Took me a bit to finally get it. So when you boot it up (after properly flashing the fw), it will have a light come on for a second and then go dark. Wait till it starts flashing and then wait for the constant flashing to cease and then wait till it begins to rapidly flash. THEN while it is rapidly flashing after the short flashes, press the select switch and you will notice that the red LED will go to a "double flash". This will indicate that it is in the wireless AP mode. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, @Wes said:

I struggled for some time with mine.  I was interpreting the instructions to mean that the first flashing sequence was the SELECT mode.  It seems that the first blinking sequence that lasts like 10-15 seconds is the booting.  Then a solid red light for maybe 5 seconds or a touch longer even, *THEN* it does the fast blink which appears to be the 3 second SELECT mode.  I was hitting the button during the boot.

Maybe that's apparent to others, but I F'ed around with the thing for some time before I got that down.  Then I was able to flash it and then repeat that SELECT mode to get to ARMING mode after the update/upgrade.  From there the SSID was up and I ssh'ed in, changed root password and then set the network up with a different ESSID and encrypted.

In case it helps anyone else save some time...

I think that these instructions are the most accurate that I have seen so far.  Before seeing this post I had managed to get the firmware updated, but pushing the button at just the right time must have been a fluke since after loading the firmware I was unable to get the timing right and hence was not able to get the Owl_#### SSID to come up.  After following the timing/blinking sequences outlined by Wes I was able to get SSH'd into the device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Step1: Upgrade Firmware

  1.  One solid blink
  2.  LED off
  3.  Rapid blinking 
  4.  Slightly less rapid blinking : - entering SELECT mode for firmware update

------------------------------------------ONLY APPLIES TO FIRMWARE UPGRADE ---------------------------------------------------

  1. ¬†Red double blinking ‚Äď beginning upgrade process
  2. ¬†Red solid ‚Äď upgrade in progress
  3. ¬†Red blinking ‚Äď rebooting

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step2: Entering Select Mode

After upgrading the firmware on boot the same LED blinking sequence 1-4  happens but it is no longer the SELECT mode it is only the BOOT blinking pattern.

After patterns 1-4 have finished 

  1.  Solid Blink
  2.  Rapid Blinking - This is now the SELECT mode

Double blinking ARMING

Single blinking ATTACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty disappointed in this one. Read the documentation. Prepared the flash drive with the firmware. Plugged it in. Never get anything other than a slow single-blink. No select mode, attack mode or any mode. It just sits there blinking at me like the "Internet" box from 'The IT Crowd'. Just blink, 5 second pause, blink, etc...

Anyone figure out how to get out of this? Or how to factory reset it? I'm afraid I just spent a lot of money on a little black box with a red flashing LED. Had great luck and fun with other Hak5 gear, but this one's a dud it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BitWrangler said:

Pretty disappointed in this one. Read the documentation. Prepared the flash drive with the firmware. Plugged it in. Never get anything other than a slow single-blink. No select mode, attack mode or any mode. It just sits there blinking at me like the "Internet" box from 'The IT Crowd'. Just blink, 5 second pause, blink, etc...

Anyone figure out how to get out of this? Or how to factory reset it? I'm afraid I just spent a lot of money on a little black box with a red flashing LED. Had great luck and fun with other Hak5 gear, but this one's a dud it seems.

It seems that the firmware update may not be required for these earliest purchases, since the version for download is 1.0.0, which I wouldn't expect it shipping with anything less.  So I think this is nothing more than an indication that there's nothing to do and the slow blinking red light simply is indicating that there was an error running the payload since none was there to load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone on the Hak5 team is reading this, would it be possible to make a quick "How to get started" video on the Signal Owl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried everything here and it's so unclear what this thing is doing at different times. ūüėě

Right now it's just sitting here plugged in for 15 minutes and just fast blinking while I have the USB drive plugged in with the BIN file.

Can someone make a video of how to get things setup and what the different modes look like?  

Any other pointers? Please advise. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, racer037 said:

I tried everything here and it's so unclear what this thing is doing at different times. ūüėě

Right now it's just sitting here plugged in for 15 minutes and just fast blinking while I have the USB drive plugged in with the BIN file.

Can someone make a video of how to get things setup and what the different modes look like?  

Any other pointers? Please advise. Thank you!

The thing that confused me is trying to read the directions for the Owl thinking that all the LED states applied to the firmware upgrade. I don't think they really do. The device as delivered comes with a special loader. You need to understand how it works, then you can start paying attention to the normal doc.

Above, I think Dr@tg0N documented the loader's behavior well. When you plug the device in to power, you'll get:

  1.  One solid blink
  2.  LED off
  3.  Rapid blinking 
  4.  Slightly less rapid blinking : - entering SELECT mode for firmware update - THIS IS WHEN YOU PRESS THE BUTTON TO START THE UPGRADE.

I formatted a drive FAT32, placed the bin on its root, put that USB drive into the USB port on the Owl furthest from the pigtail (remember, closer to the pigtail just passes through to the host) and plugged the Owl in.

After the blinks transition from rapid blinking (#3) to slightly less rapid blinking (#4), I pressed the button. The light eventually went solid, which means the upgrade was happening. Eventually it switched to slow steady on/off blinking. I unplugged the device and removed the USB storage.

On the next bootup, if you do nothing, it will eventually go into slow blinking which means there is no payload. In this state you'll see no wifi network. To do that, you'll need to go into arming mode, here's how I reliably have done that:

Nothing attached, plug Owl in to power on. LED behavior:

  1. One solid blink
  2. Medium flash (booting; for maybe 10-15 seconds)
  3. Solid for a few seconds.
  4. Very fast flashing THIS IS WHEN YOU PRESS THE BUTTON TO ENTER ARMING MODE.
  5. Double flashing begins; this means you're in arming mode. (Double flashing to my eye looks like the LED is solid on, but going off twice in a row at an interval.)

Now that you're in arming mode, you'll have an open Wifi network called Owl_XXXX where XXXX is the last 4 of your device's MAC. You can connect to that SSID and SSH to root@172.16.56.1, password hak5owl.

If anyone would like to see a video of how to get into arming mode I can probably oblige. Too late for me to demonstrate the upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maehko said:

It seems that the firmware update may not be required for these earliest purchases, since the version for download is 1.0.0, which I wouldn't expect it shipping with anything less.  So I think this is nothing more than an indication that there's nothing to do and the slow blinking red light simply is indicating that there was an error running the payload since none was there to load.

That's just it though. The instructions that came with it are very clear that the device has no firmware installed and i will need to download the firmware and install it. They explain how I need to switch into SELECT mode to do it. SELECT mode is described in the instructions as pushing the button when the device is fast blinking for about 3 seconds after boot up. Mine never does this. Immediately after boot-up, it blinks once, 5 second pause, blinks once, 5 second pause, repeat ad nauseum...  That is the ONLY blinking mode it has. If there were a working firmware installed I would expect to see the four different modes of blinking patterns as described in the instructions and in other posts above. Never see any of that. Nor is there ever an open WiFi SSID exposed as there would be if it was in ARMING mode. It just sits there and blinks once per 5 seconds no matter when or how often I push the button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got through the initial setup and set the AP name and password.  I can not connect and SSH into the Owl. 

I"m having trouble with payloads.  I copied the example payload and to work in conjunction with the wifi_connect extension.  But the device doesn't seem to work with that payload.  It goes through the usual blinking, then just stops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone on the Hak5 team is reading this thread, would it be possible to make a how-to video for the Signal Owl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...