Timestamped File Name in Windows Batch Script

TheZeal0t

I've had two BashBunny payloads fail on me (USB_File_Exfiltration and SmartFileExtract_Exfiltration) when I ran them in the morning, after working on them for a full day trying to get them to work (the night before).

Debugging the scripts on Windows, I found out that the date/time stamp formatting for the filename was causing the issue.  The hour is left-padded with a space in the AM.

I found the following hint for creating Windows Batch Script variables that are properly formatted with the date/time.  My modified code to match the format in the payload scripts is below:

@echo off
for /f "tokens=2 delims==" %%a in ('wmic OS Get localdatetime /value') do set "dt=%%a"
set "YY=%dt:~2,2%" & set "YYYY=%dt:~0,4%" & set "MM=%dt:~4,2%" & set "DD=%dt:~6,2%"
set "HH=%dt:~8,2%" & set "Min=%dt:~10,2%" & set "Sec=%dt:~12,2%"

set "datestamp=%YYYY%%MM%%DD%" & set "timestamp=%HH%%Min%%Sec%" & set "fullstamp=%YYYY%%MM%%DD%_%HH%%Min%%Sec%"
echo datestamp: "%datestamp%"
echo timestamp: "%timestamp%"
echo fullstamp: "%fullstamp%"
pause

Here is the output:

datestamp: "20190809"
timestamp: "084546"
fullstamp: "20190809_084546"
Press any key to continue . . .

And here is the link that helped me figure it out:

How do I get current datetime on the Windows command line, in a suitable format for using in a filename?

I hope this helps someone avoid the struggle I've been having the last two days.

Archived