supported transceivers

Newbier

The documentation is public now at https://docs.hak5.org

Supported transceivers include RT2800 WiFi devices (such as the RaLink RT5370) and CSR8510 Bluetooth devices as well as RTL-SDR and most serial GPS devices (such as the U-blox7).

Additional devices will be supported with future firmware releases. We welcome your feedback with this regard.

10 hours ago, Darren Kitchen said:

Thank you for publishing it. Now we can start thinking about possible uses. When will we learn more about what is running under the hood? I didn’t see any SDR related tools and I want a better idea of what I can run. 

I still hope you offer some of your bags and cases separately so we can get more. I would like to carry more than my Hak5 gear around in style.

14 hours ago, Darren Kitchen said:

Additional devices will be supported with future firmware releases. We welcome your feedback with this regard.

looking forward to this mate, quick question can plug the Type A male on the Signal owl into a 5v power supply and connect the internal wifi  to my wifi access point at home and then plug in a  Rtl-Sdr and RaLink RT5370 to monitor the airspace, then either controlling it over ssh or C2

On 8/7/2019 at 10:47 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

Supported transceivers include RT2800 WiFi devices (such as the RaLink RT5370) and CSR8510 Bluetooth devices as well as RTL-SDR and most serial GPS devices (such as the U-blox7).

Can it / will it use a Great Scott Ubertooth?  I connected my Ubertooth and tried the Bluetooth Scanner without success.

When I SSH into the Owl and do a 'hcitool dev' to list the local device it shows nothing connected or working.  So, if I did everything correctly the Owl currently doesn't support use with the Ubertooth.  If I didn't do something correctly or if I'm missing something let me know.  

It probably doesn't seem practical to use an Ubertooth with its size compared to other compact dongles but it was what I had available at the time.  I have a couple of dongles on the way from Amazon.

2 hours ago, vepr said:

I'm just curious, does "lsusb" show the device?

Yes, this is the result when I checked...

BusyBox v1.30.1 () built-in shell (ash)

.___.
 {o,o}
 /)__)  Hak5 Signal Owl
  "  "  Version 1.0.0
=======================================
 Built on OpenWRT 19.07
=======================================
root@Owl:~# hcitool dev
Devices:
root@Owl:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1d50:6002 OpenMoko, Inc. Ubertooth One
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@Owl:~# 

Is there something I coud/should do?

Just an FYI:

I just picked up a couple of CSR USB BT Dongles (amazon.com Multiform Bluetooth Wireless Adapter) and in regards to the Owl and the Bluetootn scanner payload this device doesn't work at the moment.  I say at the moment because I might still have to do a lot of troubleshooting to see if I can figure out what is going on... but then again it probably just doesn't work for this purpose and I'll have to find out the hard way...

Here is my console capture results when checking on this device:

root@Owl:~# lsusb
      Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
      root@Owl:~# hciconfig
      hci0:    Type: Primary  Bus: USB
          BD Address: 00:1A:7D:DA:71:11  ACL MTU: 679:9  SCO MTU: 48:16
          DOWN 
          RX bytes:574 acl:0 sco:0 events:30 errors:0
          TX bytes:368 acl:0 sco:0 commands:30 errors:0

root@Owl:~# hciconfig hci0 up
      Can't init device hci0: Not supported (122)
      root@Owl:~# 

Soi you can see when I check lsusb it lists the device and even specifies it's in HCI mode.

I can do a hciconfig to get an address (just learned that, thanks bif)...

but hcitools returns that it can't be brought up because it's not supported for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived