[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.6.x

Foxtrot

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DoomViper said:

I had to downgrade to resolve for now. Just look up the Tetra Flashing Guide and restore the factory firmware. Although not ideal, it restores functionality for the time being.

DV.............thanks for the update......That is good to know.........thanks 😎

On 8/12/2019 at 10:53 AM, gioCando said:

I followed the procedure to downgrade, but the TETRA never reset.
Now the TETRA is with fix yellow led on, not answering to any tentative through USB nor wireless.
What is the procedure to restart properly?
many thanks

Hey I'm not sure if you were able to resolve this (firmware reset issue), but I could only reset the firmware by using the "tetra_factory.bin" file. I wanted to use the 2.5.4 version but that gave me the same problem of the solid yellow led where it wouldn't go away. 

the products and product support from hak5 seems like it is a hobby to them instead of buiding proper stuff as can be seen on their forum lot of the posts is complaints of issues people have with hak5 products and support, and their youtube videos is just recycled news  long gone is the days of trust your technolust hey darren, its like apple and the iphone with idiots who cant wait to get the lastet "updated" phone

2 hours ago, Newbier said:

the products and product support from hak5 seems like it is a hobby to them instead of buiding proper stuff as can be seen on their forum lot of the posts is complaints of issues people have with hak5 products and support, and their youtube videos is just recycled news  long gone is the days of trust your technolust hey darren, its like apple and the iphone with idiots who cant wait to get the lastet "updated" phone

Hi Newbier,

**Please read the message in the way it was intended, namely as one of respect for your views**

I take it that you are not best pleased with Hak5 nor their products. That is obviously your opinion and I have respect for that. In terms of 'building proper stuff', I would say that Hak5 do indeed build 'proper stuff', as there are many people who cannot build to begin with. There are always going to be teething problems as we all know the tech world changes faster than many other sectors. 

In relation to your comment 'youtube videos are just recycled news', well, again it is difficult from a business perspective to keep yourself out there and noticed, and, unless there are new things to talk about then what is the point? Well, the point is that we I just mentioned. It is great to see that they have created other channels and that they cater for newbies as well as old hacks, but I do see the points you have raised as being a healthy set of personal views which you feel confident to share. Frustrating as it seems, I would still argue that Hak5 is awesome in many respects and their business and staff are at the forefront of the type of gadgets that 'PenTest' guys need as part of their arsenal. 

I will always be a Hak5 fan and appreciate all their time and effort that goes into their work (love them warts and all).

Have a great day and just to confirm that I really do enjoy reading your posts.😎 

14 hours ago, Aladeen said:

Perfect , I just  down grade the firmware to 5.4.0 , and its working fine . 

now i can install dependencies on SD card easily .

waiting for the new update for 2.6 .

Nice........well done for posting and pointing the temporary solution 

18 hours ago, Aladeen said:

Perfect , I just  down grade the firmware to 5.4.0 , and its working fine . 

now i can install dependencies on SD card easily .

waiting for the new update for 2.6 .

Hey do you mean 2.5.4? If so, can you explain how you were able to downgrade to that? 

Are you using Tetra or Nano? 

I was unable to go to 2.5.4, only the factory.bin file. 

Just got my Tetra yesterday & promptly bricked it with the 2.6 firmware.
Now, I'm attempting the factory firmware restore & have it at the yellow light, but my PC won't recognize the ETH USB port as an ethernet interface any more.

As excited as I was to get my hands on this product, I'm now starting to regret dropping the cash I did on what has so far been a wifi router recovery puzzle. I could do that for free by trying to flash Tomato to the old Linksys I have somewhere in my closet. This isn't a good first impression, Hak5. 

Anyone here have advice on how to do something with this Pineapple? Its just staring at me, emptily,  with that one yellow light...

45 minutes ago, lrgcoffee said:

Just got my Tetra yesterday & promptly bricked it with the 2.6 firmware.
Now, I'm attempting the factory firmware restore & have it at the yellow light, but my PC won't recognize the ETH USB port as an ethernet interface any more.

As excited as I was to get my hands on this product, I'm now starting to regret dropping the cash I did on what has so far been a wifi router recovery puzzle. I could do that for free by trying to flash Tomato to the old Linksys I have somewhere in my closet. This isn't a good first impression, Hak5. 

Anyone here have advice on how to do something with this Pineapple? Its just staring at me, emptily,  with that one yellow light...

Update - after retrying the factory firmware revert process, I was able to get the device back to the tetra_factory.bin load.

What intermediate firmware does this community recommend updating to, or should I sit on this load until 2.6 is tested and updated?

On 8/12/2019 at 9:53 AM, gioCando said:

I followed the procedure to downgrade, but the TETRA never reset.
Now the TETRA is with fix yellow led on, not answering to any tentative through USB nor wireless.
What is the procedure to restart properly?
many thanks

Mine didn't take the first couple of tries. I just got the yellow light that didn't go away. 

I powered down and took another run at it and it decided to work.

Hope you have the same luck.

12 hours ago, 991G said:

I'm assuming the module dependency install failure is being fixed from this version? Updated from 2.4.x to this and none of the dependencies install now.

its from the upgrade of opnwrt 15.05 to 19.07  Modules need fixed, its a known issue and somebody is working on it

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a question about the modules. These were a major selling point of Hak5's products. I love the idea. They are why I just spent what I did on a number of these products. My question is, who owns/supports the modules? They seem like they are partially community-driven and partially Hak5-driven. 

When some of you say that the modules need to be updated, does that mean that, as a general practice, 3rd party (independent) devs have to update/test their modules after a release goes to public release? Does that mean that Hak5 doesn't take responsibility for the functionality of the modules? Does that mean that, as occurred in this case, a software update can be expected to break them and the community doesn't find out until we begin reporting that the update broke our devices?

For any Hak5 reps on this board, was the 2.6 software release coordinated with the module devs or was any testing conducted to see that your modules worked with the update?

Is this a common situation with Hak5's software releases? If so, I will try to avoid upgrading until the community tests future releases (unfortunately, i didn't have that option with this release because my unit was new and I didn't have the option to not update when I did my initial setup).

Thanks for helping the noob out.

Hi everyone. I updated my tetra to version 2.6.0 and after that the PineAP stopped to work. Now when any device try to associate imediatly it is desassociate. I don't know what is necessary to do to put my Tetra to work again. Has someone any tip?

Hi everyone. I updated my tetra to version 2.6.0 and after that the PineAP stopped to work. Now when any device try to associate immediately it is disassociate. I don't know what is necessary to do to put my Tetra to work again. Has someone any tip?

20 hours ago, lrgcoffee said:

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a question about the modules. These were a major selling point of Hak5's products. I love the idea. They are why I just spent what I did on a number of these products. My question is, who owns/supports the modules? They seem like they are partially community-driven and partially Hak5-driven. 

When some of you say that the modules need to be updated, does that mean that, as a general practice, 3rd party (independent) devs have to update/test their modules after a release goes to public release? Does that mean that Hak5 doesn't take responsibility for the functionality of the modules? Does that mean that, as occurred in this case, a software update can be expected to break them and the community doesn't find out until we begin reporting that the update broke our devices?

For any Hak5 reps on this board, was the 2.6 software release coordinated with the module devs or was any testing conducted to see that your modules worked with the update?

Is this a common situation with Hak5's software releases? If so, I will try to avoid upgrading until the community tests future releases (unfortunately, i didn't have that option with this release because my unit was new and I didn't have the option to not update when I did my initial setup).

Thanks for helping the noob out.

Hey there - welcome to the community! 

I understand that the modules and payloads are a big factor of Hak5 gear, and it's our goal to create powerful pentest platforms that make it convenient to execute complex attacks. Over the years the community developed contributions to these projects have increased, as has our arsenal as a whole.

With WiFi Pineapple firmware version 2.6, we're introducing a major update to the platform by jumping openwrt base from 15.05 to 19.07. At this time OpenWRT has not officially released 19.07 - it seems to be "late" if one goes by the version numbering scheme. Still, we wanted to build on top of the latest possible base so that we could take advantage of the most up to date Linux kernel.

As with most major OS updates, package support may lag behind the initial release. This had not been the case with previous WiFi Pineapple firmware versions for the NANO or TETRA, however with the move to 19.07 some bumps in the road were to be expected. As a general rule developers are notified of upcoming releases and community members are encouraged to join the beta program to provide feedback via discord. See https://shop.hak5.org/pages/community 

We strive to ensure that all core functionality is thoroughly tested and works as expected before release. This covers the first-party modules, such as PineAP, which ship with the firmware. Additionally any underlying changes to packages or the API are documented so that third party module developers can make the most of the new firmware. Usually if a module breaks it's fixed in short order.

I can say from experience this is the first instance where module updates were required to this extent - and that's likely due to the new linux base. It's something we're aware of, and we're currently working on a fix. Learning from this experience going forward I am reviewing our processes to see if there is a better release channel or means to incorporate module developers with releases. 

Thanks,
Darren

On 8/16/2019 at 4:33 PM, Polish said:

Hi everyone. I updated my tetra to version 2.6.0 and after that the PineAP stopped to work. Now when any device try to associate immediately it is disassociate. I don't know what is necessary to do to put my Tetra to work again. Has someone any tip?

you're probably in the same boat many of us are with the 2.6 firmware - I recommend rolling back to factory-default firmware. There's a message in this thread on how to do it. I rolled mine back, and its now working as expected. 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:33 PM, Polish said:

Just curious, what firmware version did you have prior to updating?

Had an issue over the weekend that could not get 2.6 to work correctly updating from 2.4.1 and 2.5.0

The following steps ended in a successful upgrade to 2.6.0

1. Firmware Recovery (loads firmware 2.4.1)
  2. Manual update to version 2.5.4
  3. Over the Air install of version 2.6.0 firmware

This is the only method I found to successfully update the tetra on any firmware older than 2.5.4 installed (only tested a few versions).  Even a manual install of 2.6.0 from 2.4.1 recovery yielded in PineAP having several issues and failing to start the daemon. 

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to chime in and thank everyone posting in the thread for their feedback on the release. As you can imagine by looking at the changelog, 2.6.0 was a huge update and unfortunately some issues have started to show outside of our beta testing group.

That being said, now that we're settled back in from DEFCON, these issues are being addressed currently. I have started work on updating third-party modules and expect those to be done in the next 1-2 days. A 2.6.1 update will also follow, containing some fixes that affect SD card usage on some NANOs.

Thanks again for the continued feedback - we appreciate you.

Kind Regards,
Foxtrot

Archived