[RELEASE] WiFi Pineapple Firmware v2.6.x

Foxtrot

Hi!

We're very excited to announce the release of the 2.6.x Firmware for the WiFi Pineapple NANO!

We've been working hard behind the scenes, listening to the great community feedback and building upon it to iron out reported bugs, add new features and bring updates to everyone's favourite fruity wireless device. Whether it's the updated kernel, fresh packages or improvements to PineAP and Recon - there's something in this firmware for you.

2.6.2 Changelog:

• PineAP
    • Fix an issue where handshake captures might fail after a timed, non-live scan.
    • Fix an issue where starting a handshake capture when a scan is not running would result in incorrect channel hopping behaviour.
  • Misc
    • Work around a kernel bug causing packet filtering to fail in some tools. Thank you @adde88!

2.6.1 Changelog:

• General
    • Fix an issue affecting the microSD card on some WiFi Pineapple NANOs.
    • Fix an issue where external USB WiFi adapters would register before internal interfaces.
  • Module Manager
    • Dialogs are now used for Module installation and updating.
    • Add a message about third-party modules before installation.
  • Misc
    • Added missing kernel modules to the Hak5 Package Repositories.

2.6.0 Changelog:

• General
    • Update firmware base from OpenWRT 15.05 to OpenWRT 19.07.
    • Update kernel from 3.18.84 to 4.14.133.
    • Ensure all opkg feeds are HTTPS.
    • Update PHP5 to PHP7.
    • Update HostAPd from 2.6 to 2.7.
    • Improve SD Card stability on the WiFi Pineapple NANO.
    • Include support for the MediaTek MT76x2 wireless chipsets.
  • Dashboard
    • Fix an issue where the "SSIDs collected this session" counter wouldn't reset after a reboot.
    • Use more reliable method of obtaining CPU usage.
  • PineAP
    • Fix a rare crash due to memory corruption.
    • Fix an issue where PineAP options would unselect if PineAP was disabled.
    • Fix an issue where PineAP Enterprise would not work if Management AP was disabled.
    • Improve beacon effectiveness by rotating through SSID Pool.
    • Greatly improve memory and CPU consumption.
    • Fix an issue where Raw Frame Injection might hang indefinitely.
    • Add an option to reset the 'SSIDs collected this session' counter on the Dashboard.
  • Recon
    • Ensure that previous scan dates are displayed correctly.
  • Networking
    • Improve Client Mode reliability.
  • Configuration
    • Fix an issue where the user configured timezone would not set correctly.
  • Advanced
    • Fix an issue where the SD Card format may hang indefinitely.
  • Misc
    • Update Cloud C2 Client.
  • Packages
    • Add Kismet Package.
    • Add Kismet Remote Capture Package.
    • Updates to a huge variety of commonly used packages.

A special thank you to the community members who provided excellent beta feedback:
    - adde88
    - dragorn
    - Just_A_User

As usual, catch the update via OTA in the WiFi Pineapple Web Interface or grab it the Hak5 Download Portal.

- The Hak5 Development Team

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To build on the Kismet packages note in the change log above: We've built and released two packages for your WiFi Pineapples to ease install of Kismet. Instead of following long guides, you can now grab it via opkg (Make sure your WiFi Pineapple has internet!):

opkg update
opkg install kismet-hak5

The kismet package is big, so I recommend either installing it to the SD card on your NANO or using a WiFi Pineapple TETRA.

For saving space, we've also packaged the remote capture tools, so that you can use your NANO or TETRA to connect to a Kismet instance that you've set up:

opkg update
opkg install kismet-remotecap-hak5

i did a factory reset, it still won't RE-boot.

Also, Network- client mode isn't connecting. 

Sorry guys but this update is giving me a lot of issues, i hope it works for someone else.

As for me, I'm rolling back.

cheers 

14 minutes ago, cheeto said:

i did a factory reset, it still won't RE-boot.

Also, Network- client mode isn't connecting.

Interesting, I cannot reproduce this at all. Have you cleared the browsers cache? I can see my devices clearly rebooting when I hit the menu item in the UI.

Thanks

1 hour ago, cheeto said:

I rolled back to the previous version and all is working well including the reboot.

I had some more time to check. Both my Tetra and nano are on latest FW. Both reboot from UI and both can connect to my AP via dongle (Atheros)  and client mode using wlan2. However on my tetra i did seem to have to reboot it with dongle attached to get my WLAN2 detected. Will keep poking around.

Cheeto did you do a firmware recovery of just a factory reset? or maybe both?

EDIT looks like my mini dongle (RF chipset 5370) is detected but not given an interface.

With the added support for MT76x2 chipsets, it looks like the NANO becomes a 5Ghz capable platform. (Yay!) Can you recommend an adapter you have tested which is available for sale today? The list of cards supported by OpenWRT is short and none of them seem to be available any more. 

3 hours ago, fan said:

yes also sslsplit , deauth  ....

10 hours ago, nat7878654 said:

I can't install Module Dependencys (SSLSplitt) I will start and say they are not installed. Rebooted and the same thing. Formated SDCard, does not help.

I often use my Nano USB tethered to my Android phone (for internet connection sharing) using the EasyTether app.

They provide a openwrt driver package, but it depends on kmod-tun which does not seem to be available from either the Hak5 or openwrt package repos for firmware v2.6.0

I had to roll back to v2.5.4 because I will need that tethering ability this week. That Openwrt version's package repos has a copy of kmod-tun and thus the EasyTether package installs without any issues.

Thoughts on how to fix this? I'd really like to upgrade back to 2.6.0 and try out all the new features.

Upgraded to 2.6.0 with a factory reset. While the lsusb output on the advanced page shows the ralink RT5370 (purchased with the nano) it does not get assigned to WLAN2. The only interfaces i have available are 0 and 1. Anything I can try to get the adapter working?

52 minutes ago, shortmaniak said:

Upgraded to 2.6.0 with a factory reset. While the lsusb output on the advanced page shows the ralink RT5370 (purchased with the nano) it does not get assigned to WLAN2. The only interfaces i have available are 0 and 1. Anything I can try to get the adapter working?

SSH to your Pineapple, while the wifi device is disconnected.
Right after inserting it enter dmesg to your terminal, and copy/paste the output so we can see it. (Pastebin.org works great for long output such as dmesg)

13 hours ago, Zylla said:

Everything seems allright there. 

What's the output from iwconfig? Does the device display there? 

iwconfig shows the following adapters (in order): wlan1, lo, br-lan, eth0, wlan0.

Just for fun I tried another ralink-based usb wireless adapter I have lying around. Same behavior, shows up in lsusb but isn't assigned to wlan2.

8 hours ago, shortmaniak said:

iwconfig shows the following adapters (in order): wlan1, lo, br-lan_, eth0, wlan0.

Just for fun I tried another ralink-based usb wireless adapter I have lying around. Same behavior, shows up in lsusb but isn't assigned to wlan2.

How about the following commands below? Do they display any more interfaces than just wlan0 and wlan1?

iw list | grep "Wiphy phy"
airmon-ng

If they do, the additional interfaces might need to get defined within: /etc/config/wireless
I've experienced similar bevhaviour earlier where this was my solution.

2 hours ago, Zylla said:

How about the following commands below? Do they display any more interfaces than just wlan0 and wlan1?

iw list | grep "Wiphy phy"
airmon-ng

If they do, the additional interfaces might need to get defined within: /etc/config/wireless
I've experienced similar bevhaviour earlier where this was my solution.

Iw list:

root@Pineapple:~# iw list | grep "Wiphy phy"
Wiphy phy2
Wiphy phy1
Wiphy phy0

airmon-ng:

root@Pineapple:~# airmon-ng

Found phy1 with no interfaces assigned, would you like to assign one to it? [y/n] y

(mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled on [phy1]wlan2mon

PHY	Interface	Driver		Chipset

phy0	wlan0		rt2800usb	Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370
phy2	wlan1		ath9k_htc	Qualcomm Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n
phy1	wlan2mon	ath9k		Not pci, usb, or sdio

Am I reading that wrong or is it one of the onboard radios that isn't getting assigned? It looks like phy1 is the other Atheros radio, but the chipset and driver are different from phy2.

Archived