Android - Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X

INFOTRACE

Hi Guys,

I have read quite a bit about rooted and unrooted Android devices running Nethunter, and thought that this could be of interest:

Android 9.0 Pie was released on August 6, 2018, but the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X, Google's most recent Nexus phones, remained on Android 8.1 Oreo. These two devices will continue to get security patches until November 2018, at which point they will have officially reached the end of software support.

Does this mean that if someone buys one of the devices shown, that it will not be protected if left unrooted? Should they then root the device and crack on with their lives, or does it really matter if using Nethunter?

Cheers 😎

Once you go out of support for security patches you don't get any more unless something hits that is so bad that the manufacturer deems it worth putting out a special patch.

Remember, despite the 5x being the most recent, it came out in October 2015 so had 3 years of support.

Rooting a device generally makes it more vulnerable than less as the apps installed on it can do more damage. I'd stick with what is there and hope nothing is found rather than deliberately introducing more risk with a root.

1 minute ago, digininja said:

Once you go out of support for security patches you don't get any more unless something hits that is so bad that the manufacturer deems it worth putting out a special patch.

Remember, despite the 5x being the most recent, it came out in October 2015 so had 3 years of support.

Rooting a device generally makes it more vulnerable than less as the apps installed on it can do more damage. I'd stick with what is there and hope nothing is found rather than deliberately introducing more risk with a root.

Hi Digininja,

Great advice -  unrooted it is - Thank you.

I was thinking of getting a Nexus 7 for the Nethunter, but I am still looking at specs on the various ones out there. N900 is a no go for many reasons; battery life being one of the main issues. Any suggestions circa 150 USD to 200 USD?

Thanks again for your response 😎 

Just now, digininja said:

Pick up a Raspberry Pi and decent wifi card and use that. Would be a lot cheaper and much more versatile.

Bit bulkier but depends on what you are using it for.

Yes, a bit bulky........have it already (pi3 B+), and working it off Alpha etc., but I need a phone that will not standout and has a good sized screen, but not over 6".

Working and walking about an office doing pen testing is great for a phone, but not for the pi, as this is used more for outside field work and greater distance is covered with the Alpha. 

Looking at the  Samsung Galaxy S6 or S7 or something in that range through Nokia or Huawei. Any suggestions (probably not BlackBerry)?

Cheers again 😎

5x is really bad for bootlooping . Pick up a used nexus 6 for a good price on ebay. I frickin love mine . Nice gorrilla glass and hefty case last long time

Edited by Bigbiz