Buy an Island?

anyedie

I don't know how long this has been out, but I just saw it today and think its absolutely amazing!

The Pirate Bay is attempting to buy an island to make a copywrite free zone. mml! They are accepting donations to buy Sealand, and it looks like its not completly impossible. Donate! If you do, they say they will grant you citizenship of Sealand!

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=5947...=1&sparte=4

Sealand is a WWII Gun PLatform Built By the British to combat the Northrn Atlantic/ English Channel U-Boat Threat. Thats all it is. It was founded by some Ex-British military officer after the war, and who declared it a principality and himself King (or prince>? maybe). It isn't actually its own country. Its not recognised by the UN, and Technically exists in Brittins Territorial waters.

There are approximately 160 "citizens" mostly buisnessmen, who own or operate companies out of Sealand.

It was recently ravaged by a fire, and the repairs are quite expensive, Though it was recently appraised at $50,000,000.(may be $500 mil. can't remember).

If you want more info then this:

www.sealandgov.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

From what I read the current owner is asking $1 billion USD. TPB's "Plan B" is to purchase an island. The current candidate seems to be Ile De Caille, a 400 acre island 3 miles off the northern tip of Grenada with a list price of $18 million.

Islands are sweet and all but seriously the price of the property will be pennies compared to what it'll cost to make it server-friendly.

Islands are sweet and all but seriously the price of the property will be pennies compared to what it'll cost to make it server-friendly.

I'm sure the Professor could rig something, and they always have Gilligan to generate the electricity. :)

This seems like its going to be more trouble than its worth, given the initial cost, the cost of repairs and the additional modifications to make it functional. Also and correct me if i am wrong but isn't rhe island they are looking to purchace cheaper than Sealand?

lol, if its in the British Isles, why were damages recorded in US$ and not sterling£ lol Smile

I have no idea why this is, and who cares, lol.

I actually inquired about citizenship a couple months ago, thought id be fun to have a crazy dual citizenship, and maybe a "summer" home in the superstructure, before I knew it was up for sale. I haven't heard back. Guess the ministry of the interior has his hands full with something else.

aardwolf:

Where did you read that, I'd like to peruse the article myself.

-thanks