What virtual machine software do you use?

M4sh1lo

• 2 weeks later...

VirtualBox & VMware are good for desktop/laptop wanting to run one or two VMs.  Really more of a preference or if a special configuration is required that only one supports (have ran across that situation much)  Sometimes distros will be released with preconfigured VMs that will only be for one of the above so doesn't hurt to keep both around if you like using preconfigured images.

vSphere Hypervisor is really good choice for setting up home labs if you need several VMs running at once (if hardware can handle it).  Makes VMs easy to manage and keeps them on there own system.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, Cap_Sig said:

VirtualBox & VMware are good for desktop/laptop wanting to run one or two VMs.  Really more of a preference or if a special configuration is required that only one supports (have ran across that situation much)  Sometimes distros will be released with preconfigured VMs that will only be for one of the above so doesn't hurt to keep both around if you like using preconfigured images.

vSphere Hypervisor is really good choice for setting up home labs if you need several VMs running at once (if hardware can handle it).  Makes VMs easy to manage and keeps them on there own system.

Having given this more thought.........I bashed a vm within a vm with mixed results........I have now installed KL as main os and find this is worth the sacrifice of a machine........windows 7, updated to windows 10 pro, and then, complete HD clean, as I prepared for the main OS to be changed.......i5, 250 GB, lightning quick especially with ethernet boost to 1 GB ps. So, will run this for a few weeks and compare to the VM I have on another computer..........agreed that on Desktop it is a great concept, but as a PEN TESTER I find having a couple of devices with two or max three Terms open, I can get the job done in quick time IMO😎

26 minutes ago, INFOTRACE said:

I bashed a vm within a vm with mixed results........

Just curious, what situation would  having a host OS with a VM running within a VM be useful?  Wise of hardware utilization you are better off having to VMs running side by side on the host OS.

28 minutes ago, INFOTRACE said:

I have now installed KL as main os and find this is worth the sacrifice of a machine........windows 7, updated to windows 10 pro, and then, complete HD clean, as I prepared for the main OS to be changed.......i5, 250 GB, lightning quick especially with ethernet boost to 1 GB ps. So, will run this for a few weeks and compare to the VM I have on another computer..........agreed that on Desktop it is a great concept, but as a PEN TESTER I find having a couple of devices with two or max three Terms open, I can get the job done in quick time IMO😎

I will agree for heavy (possibly daily use) having Kali installed comes with its advantages.  The main advantage to VMs is for testing/home labs were things are heavily tested and my need refreshed to prevent complete reinstall.  Or on the home lab side of that, you can turn one physical system into several virtual "target" systems with less hardware overhead.  VMs have more uses as well, just depends on your situation! 

2 minutes ago, Cap_Sig said:

Just curious, what situation would  having a host OS with a VM running within a VM be useful?  Wise of hardware utilization you are better off having to VMs running side by side on the host OS.

I will agree for heavy (possibly daily use) having Kali installed comes with its advantages.  The main advantage to VMs is for testing/home labs were things are heavily tested and my need refreshed to prevent complete reinstall.  Or on the home lab side of that, you can turn one physical system into several virtual "target" systems with less hardware overhead.  VMs have more uses as well, just depends on your situation! 

Hi buddy...............it was a test for a client, a 'bet it can't be done' job. Well, I couldn't see the point either, but you cannot turn work down🤓

I agree with the VL, which I have, but it is for the onsite work that I was referring to..........but I do agree with all your comments.......Thanks 😎

Archived