Having FTP Issues, Need Help...

Mr_Mischif

I'm trying to transfer my files from 192.168.2.2 to a Linux box at 192.168.2.5, but every time I try, it says "Error: Connection Refused". I don't know if it's a problem with my Windows box (side note, the quicker I get my stuff backed up on my Linux box, the quicker I can put linux on my Windows box :) ) I can ping the linux box from my Windows box, but I don't know the command to ping from linux so I can't duplicate it on linux, but they can both access the common router, so they're both on the network. Is there any way to find out where the problem is and fix it (but I do think it's on the Linux side, so let's start from there)?

few quick qustions, what Linux OS are u running, what FTP server Side Software are u running? what FTP Client Side are u using, are u behind a router? Firewall? are u using a password for FTP?

I'm running Zenwalk, it just says ftp as the server software, I'm running a program called WinSCP3 to FTP into my Linux box, they're both behind the same router, and I'm logging in under my username in the linux box to transfer things.

Is there a firewall running on either OS, ftp sucks anyway, it may be easier to try a fish connection over ssh port 22, its usually faster and most distros enable the ssh by default.

I'm running the Norton firewall on my Windows box, which has never hurt me before, and I'm trying to access the computer on port 22, and I've checked the iptables and it should accept th packets, which is making me thing it's a problem on my windows box.

ok, check you firewall has the port open, also check your ftp program supports fish (i think its also called sftp, but i could be wrong) and check you have the right protocol selected when you try and connect.

vanilla ftp is usually port 21.

edit: In retrospect the firewall shouldn't matter if its on you winbox, but i'd open it just in case and my pizza is here now.

have you considered running samba server on the linux box, mounting the share in xp then just transfering all the files that way. could be the easiest

If you can tell me how I could get it moving.

Now I *know* there are tutorials about this on Google.

have you considered running samba server on the linux box, mounting the share in xp then just transfering all the files that way. could be the easiest

If you can tell me how I could get it moving.

Now I *know* there are tutorials about this on Google.

Yes there are and I just found one that I will be implementing later. If everything goes well, I should be reporting the good news in about 2-3 hours from now.

Is there any way to add your user to the SAMBA client list w/o using the "smbpasswd" command? For some reason, my distro seems to have come without it and I don't know the equivalent. Also, I'm trying to restart SAMBA, but samba restart ain't working for me, even in root.