my new home built pc wont load anything Linux

ferret

I have an ASUS P5B motherboard(basic model) and a core2 duo 2.13 6400 with and antec 650 power supply and 2 x 1 gb sticks of kingston ddr2 800 ram. My graphics card is a Nvidia geforce 7600 gs. I have a floppy drive and 1 dvd burner(not on the same connection cable) My harddrive is a sata drive hooked up with of course a sata cable. I have windows xp home installed and everything works perfect except I CAN USE ANYTHING LINUX AT ALL. I can't install any linux distro or use any live dvds/cds. When I try to use a linux live disk an error message comes up that says can't find file system for mepis(example) halted! or Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry. dropping you to a(very limited shell). press, reset to quit. Additional built in commands avaliable. CAT MOUNT UNMOUNT INSMOD RMMOD ISMOD

kNOPPIX#_

I have tried 5 different optical drives and checked the ram and its fine. I tried with just 1 stick with no luck. Is something in the bios settings the problem.

Thanks for any input. Great show!

I have seen issues with SATA at school, what linux distro are you using?

I have tried about 12 different ones so far with no luck. Fedora core 5 and 6, Unbuntu 6.06 and the latest, Mepis 6, knoppix(4 different verisons), pcliuxos, Damn small linux(newest version), Dream, etc. I was trying everyone I could find. Mandriva.

Update! After trying 14 different linux distros I found 1 that worked. Mandriva 2007 free worked. I can't believe thats the only one that worked. What does Mandriva know about Core 2 duo and Asus motherboards that the other do not know? I guess its a start.

Do you get the error while booting the live CD, or after you've installed the distro onto your harddisk? If it's the former, please describe your dvd burner(-connection) in more detail.

I get the error with live cds/dvds and with the install disks. I have 1 harddrive setup with Sata cable. 1 floppy drive set up on its own. my combo dvd/cd drive is IDE and has nothing else attached to it. I have tried 7 different cd and dvd drives. I also had 2 drives connected before at first and that didn't work either.

btw you cant have a floppy and a optical drive on the same cable.

ther is no floppy IDE drvies

Oh? News to me -

SuperDisk drives have been sold in parallel port, USB, ATAPI and SCSI variants. All drives can read and write 1.44 MB (1440 KiB) and 720 kB (720 KiB) MFM floppies, as used on PCs, Apple Macintoshes produced 1988–1998, and many workstations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDisk

SuperDisk ftw! ;)

btw you cant have a floppy and a optical drive on the same cable.

ther is no floppy IDE drvies

and FDD cables cant be daisy chained :)

No they are not together. Just 1 on separate cables. I even tried disconnecting the floppy drive but of course that didn't work.