How long do you spend at the computer?

articzebra

This question keeps coming back to me after deciding to embark on a journey towards better understanding IT security, especially how the bad guys get into systems.
For me I have been able to spend anywhere from a few hours to a whole day behind the computer screen.

How about you? How long do you typically spend behind the computer? Also it doesn't matter whether it's your job, hobby or whether you just browse the web and seldom drop into a few different subjects out of mere interest.
I was going to create a poll but then realized that option wasn't available

I am 48 and I spend too much time, especially when I am trying to get something to work then the black hole of time swallows me A lot of the time I am watching something though. Working through computer issues for some reason is extremely relaxing.

If I am off I will most likely spend the whole day, if I work I really try not to attack any projects as it could go on for hours, I really want to unbrick my laptop but I know if I start it will be like it has been, a day long ordeal. I don't need the laptop but it troubles me when I can't solve the issue... well.. with the help of google 🙂

I got that mainstay chair with lower back support if that helps any of you. Works GREAT!

On 7/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, James Elsworth said:

I usually spend 12 hours in a day 😄

I agree that 12 hours a day (6 days a week) is about average, but I have been known to spend up to 20 hrs if the client/project requires work done. It helps if like me you are an insomniac 😊

On 8/5/2019 at 6:46 PM, INFOTRACE said:

I agree that 12 hours a day (6 days a week) is about average, but I have been known to spend up to 20 hrs if the client/project requires work done. It helps if like me you are an insomniac 😊

I am still on it since I posted the above............love it.....😎

I would say too much time between both work and personal laptops/desktops/phones is 10-12 hours during the week and probably half of that on weekends.....

I need to work on becoming more productive to reduce time......I really would like to do other things as well....time is an enemy......

• 1 month later...

6 hours per day, but in the past when I was learning up-to 14 hours a day for the past 13 years I have had many opportunity's and embarked on a lot of projects including programming vb.net, EPOS (Electrical Point Of Sale Systems) computer forensics, cyber security, Networking, Server repairs and printer servicing. my day Job is a Service Desk Analyst at present.

1 hour ago, CyberMaster said:

6 hours per day, but in the past when I was learning up-to 14 hours a day for the past 13 years I have had many opportunity's and embarked on a lot of projects including programming vb.net, EPOS (Electrical Point Of Sale Systems) computer forensics, cyber security, Networking, Server repairs and printer servicing. my day Job is a Service Desk Analyst at present.

Hi Buddy,  Do you enjoy your time at the computer, or is it out of necessity as it's part of your job? 🤓

Yes I love learning and making use of the technologies that we have available and learning how to reverse engineer products.  

2 minutes ago, CyberMaster said:

Yes I love learning and making use of the technologies that we have available and learning how to reverse engineer products.  

We share the same interests.........so good for you buddy.......every single day is a school day! 🤓

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi y'all! Another IT professional here, so at least 8 hrs spent in the chair, plus it's my hobby as well, so usually more like 10-12 hrs daily. I get lost and loose all track of time. My wife calls it the Vortex of Solitude, because when I go into my home office, she doesn't see me for days. And I said I would be back in 15 mins.

This discussion makes me think of another issue - the chairs we sit in. Any recommendations for a good chair designed for our average computer time? Not necessarily a "gaming" chair, whatever that means, but a good quality supportive chair that can stand the 10 to 12 hrs we will spend it in on daily basis. Gaming chairs seem to be very popular right now, especially here in the states, but does something being "gaming" equal quality and comfort?

Archived