Yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell...

VaKo

Nah, not me, a mate (who ironicially has just walked from a job) sent that to me. It does remind me of working for BT though. You'd finish a 40 minute call that has covered everything from setting up the kit to getting there outlook setup and a firewall installed, only to find you were on probation again because your call handling time was to high. And the girl who told everyone to do a virus scan and call back, even the guy with the wrong number who was trying to quit smoking, she gets a bonus for her amazing call times. In the end I just started coming into work absolutely wasted on dope, only way I avoiding stabbing some of the managers.

Aren't most call centres in India now? Every time I dial 151 the person I speak to always has an Indian accent (and yet my phone line is still noisy).

A few, Microsoft mainly last I checked. Dell did for awhile but a lot of buisnesses got pissed off about that and threatnened to switch brands to something like HP, so the North American Dell moved the majority of their call centers back into places like Georgia and Texas (the majority of my support calls have gone there) Thankfully I've yet to have communications problems with them when I'm at Goodwill IT.

However, even if though some compainies have moved their support back to their respective countries they do support for, what really ticks me off is that some support group in Canada my Dad always called had their support agents in N.A. but they were Indian! :x

The only company I recently called for that prob had support in India or some other country was ABIT. One I had to use Skype out to make the call as it was long distance in which I don't have for landline.

what's 151 do? i'm assuming that's a number in the UK.

Its ironic, I have no problem dealing with Asian accents, but Scottish and northern British accents are practically unbreakable cyphers to me. Maybe because the foreigners I speak to are aware they need to be understood, but the English and Scottish feel that its a right to talk like they have a mouthful of broken glass. Still remember the guy who came into a bar I worked at and ordered "wee shleep ot' nughtee korka aye laddie".

Its ironic, I have no problem dealing with Asian accents, but Scottish and northern British accents are practically unbreakable cyphers to me. Maybe because the foreigners I speak to are aware they need to be understood, but the English and Scottish feel that its a right to talk like they have a mouthful of broken glass. Still remember the guy who came into a bar I worked at and ordered "wee shleep ot' nughtee korka aye laddie".

sheep piss and nutty corks young lad ?

He wanted a rum and coke, with ice. It took at least 10mins before my manager stepped in and translated.

DAMN that is an unbreakable dialect XD

cant he just try n speak english ? i mean its his primary language ....

i can speak my dialect but am not allowed @ school .... (different area...) it is concidered as a different language (i dont get why) and u can actually get detention for it ...

u have to talk ABN (algemeen beschaafd nederlands) (generic civilised dutch)

You know, before the Bible was translated in to English, spoken English was basically a different language between the North, Middle and South of England. The Bible been translated in to English (from Latin) was what made the big push for spoken English to be standardised around England (and all of the UK to some extent).

Mainly because the north of england/scotland was heavily linked to northen europe, and the south kept its links with the ex-roman territory's after the roman empire fell and the holy roman empire moved to byzantine. There was quite a sharp divide in Britain. Then the Normans invaded and added French to the mixture, which means that in the parts of the country where people don't move around much the accents are still heavily split amongst social classes. Its also why English has 2 words for meat and animal, ie we eat beef not cow, pork not pig etc

So for a country that is relatively small there is a huge variation in accents. IE people who are born less than 200miles apart having problems understanding each other. Unlike other country's there has been very little effort to standardize the language until fairly recently, and that was probally down to the train network and literacy. Plus, the English language has a habit of invading places and stealing the locals language, which doesn't help matters.

Ah yes, the wonderful people in computer related jobs now. I was doing an internship at a local internet company earlier this year in thier webdesign department (we had hardware firewalls on a lot of our servers) and me and my supervisor stepped outside for a few minutes when the guy that works server-side comes walking up to us saying "Hey, our servers were acting wierd. I thought we may have been getting hacked or something, maybed DOSed... So I unplugged our firewalls to see if it would make them work better."

<sarcasm>....He's such a nice fellow, looking into the problem like that, unplugging our firewall was so kind of him after all.</sarcasm>

Luckily no one was screwing with it, it was just a lot of people going on our sites all at once because of some new things we were adding.... but really, who are they hiring for these jobs lately. Anyway, nice post VaKo, hilarious to read, though frighteningly true.

I don't know about you guts but i just had problems with a new compaq laptop and spoke to an indian guy with a fake english sounding name.

i can't remember what city he said in, but it was some place that the aussies have played cricket before, that's all i remember.

anyway. HP's customer service REALLY sucks. Go dell or anything else basically