Need to catch an employee

fir3maze

I am having a problem with one of my employees tampering with work PCs, but I can not crack down on him unless I have proof. So, do any of you know of a good Silent PC monitoring or key logger software ... so that I can catch him red-handed?!

Thanks in advance.

You need to inform your staff that your recording them, its a legal thing. Otherwise there's nothing to stop your employees recording your phone calls to your mistress and mailing them to your wife... Got no truck with bosses who try sneaky shit like your planning, if you have a problem with your staff you deal with it like an adult, not some sneaky little bitch.

However I should note: stopping employees from browsing the web and such has shown to only decrease productivity.

because they spend too much time trying to get around the blocks? :P

I know I wasted far too much time at college doing that, well, not exactly wasted, it gave me deeper understanding of how networks and the Internet works.

because they spend too much time trying to get around the blocks? :P

Honest answer: Yes!

I am and work with a large group of programmers. A lot of the sites we use for inspiration and education are security sites on which hacking methods are discussed. When you put a wall up between such a group of creative and technically capable individuals and their target (because of 'Hacking' no less), what else do you expect them to do?

On that same train of thought, guess what happens when the company deploys a new piece of software? We take the next hour or two to try and rip it a new one. One of the most humorous instances was the introduction of a new time keeping program. The old one was pretty good and locked down tight. Then came the new, completely rewritten version, and within 2 hours we had reverse-engineerd the algorithm for the generation of the session id, were we able to view and modify people's time sheets, see their vacation sheets, send out text messages to any mobile phone we wanted, and send an email to whoever we wanted, with a from address of whomever we wanted. At that point they pulled the box offline for 'emergency maintenance'. I'm pretty sure that given another hour or so we would've had a shell on that thing.

Web filters are for the drones in administration who only need MS Office for their daily work. For coders, it's more a challenge than a hindrance.

"Oh, you think we shouldn't see that? Well, how about when I do *THIS*! Yeah, you like that, don't you bitch?!"

Sure, it's:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogonLegalNoticeCaption

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogonLegalNoticeText

Edit: Oh, you didn't want me to tell ya? ;)

Or you could write a small vbs to popup a window on boot saying the computers are being monitored anyway. Kinda like those "Security Alarm Onboard" stickers on cars, or fake cameras in chincy convenience stores.

Just make sure to run it by HR & Legal and consult your IT policy.

My favorite is the tourist shops and novelty shops that have the blocks of wood with a Security system 2000 sticker on it.