antivirus

911alertme

I am looking for a good antivirus. I'm not really interested in paying for anything, especially Norton because it eats my resources. I've heard good things about AVG Free Edition and also about avast!. Both of them are free. If you can vouch for either of them or give me another suggestion it would be appreciated.

i vouch for avast! and swear by it tho it has some verry irritating false positives with some of the proggy's on the switchblade and even with thightvnc ! ... (wich u can find topics of me rantin bout it on here ....)

avast FTW ! ... i have used it for a long time, and it has picked up a lots of stuff, my other anti-virus' havnt :(.

If you are any good at the Internet it shouldn't pick up any thing except false positives (this includes 'hacker tools') ;)

AVG gave me a rash once and symantec took all the fun out of switchblade development. I know we're all supposed to practice safe computing but there's nothing like freeballing on the tubes every now and then. You just gotta know what sites are gonna give you ganaherpasyphilritous

Ooo, a cookie :)

i use Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edditions at work and this computer belongs to them so the same :D:D

it's pretty gr888

I used to install Symantec AV-CE on my family's machines aswell, but have since replaced it everywhere with F-Secure.

Symantec's scanner is soooooooo slooooow! Plus it's a memory hog.

If it works great for you, by all means stick with it, but I've got only bad experience with their stuff. There used to be a time when Symantec/Norton meant quality (well, to me at least). That time has long since passed.