Hosting Server

mc-ren

Well since its my first post I'll go nice a smooth :)

I've been thinking about setting up a a small hosting bussiness. I googled around and found out some prebuild solution (IBM, HP, Dell). Comparing the with homebrew solutions I think that a prebuild solution is the optimal solution.

My question is this: What's your opinion on this? Pressuming that we have a potential of 300 domains and their contents, you would go for the prebuild solution? And if so which of them ? And what about bandwidth?

I always thought web hosting was one of the hardest businesses to succeed in. Mainly because there are well established companies already to compete against and that, unlike a local business, these competitors are always there no matter where you are (if you get what I mean). The only way to stand a chance against them is to undercut them in prices or offer more features/better features (e.g. more bandwidth, phatter pipes).

Well since its my first post I'll go nice a smooth :)

I've been thinking about setting up a a small hosting bussiness. I googled around and found out some prebuild solution (IBM, HP, Dell). Comparing the with homebrew solutions I think that a prebuild solution is the optimal solution.

My question is this: What's your opinion on this? Pressuming that we have a potential of 300 domains and their contents, you would go for the prebuild solution? And if so which of them ? And what about bandwidth?

I wouldn’t bother, your business won’t succeed as the market is all ready flooded with hosting companies and resellers, and even if it could succeed the profit margins are very slim.

A few tips on this (no experiance on my behalf, trust what u will)

1) Giving people huge bandwidth + space will attract people

2) Giving them huge bandwidth + space not many people will use it all

How much webspace does a website really need?

3) What i would like to see, but never have

A downloadable file to show the speeds that people get downloading off your servers

eg, a 15 mb file, so people can see how fast they download off u :P

Ive never tried all of those, and the first 2 are just theories

Pre built with a decent SLA. Ideally you want any hardware problems to be a phone call away from fixed. Keep spares on site if you can. If its your business you don't want to be fucking around with homebrew and off the shelf consumer kit.

Go with HP for a bulk of your equipment, as it offers solid performance at a good price.

Up time is a must so build redundancy into the system, every server should have a back up and you must buy a UPS. Make sure you have spares for everything.

I have bought servers from www.rackservers.com which can build you a 6U server with four quad core Intel chips (16 cores), 12 TB of storage and 32GB of memory, although you would not need anything like this, but if your looking for a custom solution they do a good job. I personally build my own but when they are mission critical I buy them.