Laptop won’t turn on

r3ptilbot

HI have an Alienware m17 with a dual boot with parrotsec and windows 10. There were no clear problems before and I just went to turn on my computer just like any other time. For some reason it will not turn on. Anyone have any advice?

Edit: My charger seems to be working fine. Also my laptop shows no lights and nothing on screen. It won’t turn on at all. I also looked at some troubleshooting guides online and none have worked so far. 

Edited by r3ptilbot

This may seem crazy but unplug it, remove the battery, and press the power button for at least two straight minutes.  Coworker had a brand new laptop and the same thing happened.  One day it just refused to turn on.  I don't know if a capacitor holds a charge when it shouldn't or what the deal is.  I never thought in a million years that trick would work but for whatever reason it did.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:51 AM, Bob123 said:

This may seem crazy but unplug it, remove the battery, and press the power button for at least two straight minutes.  Coworker had a brand new laptop and the same thing happened.  One day it just refused to turn on.  I don't know if a capacitor holds a charge when it shouldn't or what the deal is.  I never thought in a million years that trick would work but for whatever reason it did.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. However it looks like it is a hardware problem. I had to contact dell and they are going to replace the motherboard. My laptop is only two months old so I guess it came with some issue. Anyways they said they would get it back to me in about a week.

Edit: seems like there was some strange power surge which caused this. I am really not sure. I am happy to have my laptop working again though 🙂

Edited by r3ptilbot