Career Path Direction - Please help

Greeting everyone,

I am hoping that someone(s) can help me with some questions. 

The first of all is my schooling. Last December I started classes at an onine university for cyber security. Although I have only been taking the required general education classes, I am about to start my core classes in Cyber Security. I am considering transfering to the following schools.

EC Council University: They are under the umbrella of EC Council, which is one of the reason they looked very attractive. I have not seen them mentioned on top 10 schools, or anything like that. I have been told by other academic organization that they are nationally credited (not regionally). However they do offer certifications in "Certified Network Defender" , "Certified Ethical Hacker," and "Complete Hacking Forensic Investigator." Although these certifications would be great to have, I don't want them to be the only reason I attend their school. This school is an online only school, and does not offer on-campus classes.

University of Arizona (or Dakota State University): Both these schools claim they are NSA Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations. These schools offer both online and on-campus classes. My biggest question is is this designator better than a degree at a non-designated school? Does anyone take this as a sign of a better potential employee?

I am a veteran and looking towards a position within the government, but I am also open to joining a firm with the best benefits package and financial compensation.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 1 month later...

Why do you want to switch schools? If your trying to get into places like the nsa you will need secret clearance certificate which is hard to get, but since you said that your a veteran it might be easier for you to get that. 

To answer your other question there a saying in the IT field “ the degree get you the interview but the certs get you the job”.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, TheLaughingMan said:

Why do you want to switch schools? If your trying to get into places like the nsa you will need secret clearance certificate which is hard to get, but since you said that your a veteran it might be easier for you to get that. 

To answer your other question there a saying in the IT field “ the degree get you the interview but the certs get you the job”.

Yes, TheLaughingMan makes a few good points 😎

On 6/9/2019 at 11:58 PM, D4rkw1ng said:

Greeting everyone,

I am hoping that someone(s) can help me with some questions. 

The first of all is my schooling. Last December I started classes at an onine university for cyber security. Although I have only been taking the required general education classes, I am about to start my core classes in Cyber Security. I am considering transfering to the following schools.

EC Council University: They are under the umbrella of EC Council, which is one of the reason they looked very attractive. I have not seen them mentioned on top 10 schools, or anything like that. I have been told by other academic organization that they are nationally credited (not regionally). However they do offer certifications in "Certified Network Defender" , "Certified Ethical Hacker," and "Complete Hacking Forensic Investigator." Although these certifications would be great to have, I don't want them to be the only reason I attend their school. This school is an online only school, and does not offer on-campus classes.

University of Arizona (or Dakota State University): Both these schools claim they are NSA Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations. These schools offer both online and on-campus classes. My biggest question is is this designator better than a degree at a non-designated school? Does anyone take this as a sign of a better potential employee?

I am a veteran and looking towards a position within the government, but I am also open to joining a firm with the best benefits package and financial compensation.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hi,

Great views put forward. CISM etc., will serve you well, but you will also need to prove experience in the big world🔐, as there are more people to compete against in this ever-growing market place.

Best of luck.🙏

Cheers 😎

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't work for the government, but when we hire, we are looking for people that enjoy learning and want to take ownership.

There are so many times that what we thought was secure five years ago is obsolete now.  Tech is continually improving and you have to have a passion for learning and keeping up with it.

It is fun being challenged at new puzzles every day, looking for patterns, etc; but it takes a drive to stay up with things.

I strongly encourage keeping a free GitHub account with a repository for each project you are working on to help set you apart from the others in the interview process.

It is huge to see someone's code and get a sense of how they think.

Best of luck!  

Archived