Pentesting Lab on Home PC, Is It Safe?

Mangum IP

I am looking to dabble in playing around with VMs, Kali, etc. I have a old laptop I can run Linux on with Kali in a VM. I Have a very powerful PC running Win 10 that is my daily use computer that I can load up VMs to for me to play with. My question is, is this safe ? Will I be exposing my daily use PC to things that can ultimately ruin all my stuff?

Can things go wrong?  Sure.  Can bad things jump from a vm to the main machine?  I've heard it could happen.  Have I ever had an issue with any of that?  Absolutely not!!!  This is what I do all the time.  My main machine has 32GB memory and several hard drives.  I spread the VMs over the multiple hard drives that way I can run several at a time.  I think the most I've had running at once was 7 VMs.  (That's right up there with my virtual server.)  Trust me you don't want more than 2 VMs running on the same hard drive at the same time.  Even the fasted SSD, it'll still be a bottleneck.  But yes I highly recommend experimenting.  I use both vmware and virtual box.  If your going to use Kali and try to hack some VMs I'd recommend setting up a lan segment or have a third VM as a router.  Don't use the 'host only', NAT, or bridged as they will open up the outside world.  If you need to get some updates or software then sure use NAT but once your ready to hack keep it internal to the VMs. 

1 hour ago, Bob123 said:

Can things go wrong?  Sure.  Can bad things jump from a vm to the main machine?  I've heard it could happen.  Have I ever had an issue with any of that?  Absolutely not!!!  This is what I do all the time.  My main machine has 32GB memory and several hard drives.  I spread the VMs over the multiple hard drives that way I can run several at a time.  I think the most I've had running at once was 7 VMs.  (That's right up there with my virtual server.)  Trust me you don't want more than 2 VMs running on the same hard drive at the same time.  Even the fasted SSD, it'll still be a bottleneck.  But yes I highly recommend experimenting.  I use both vmware and virtual box.  If your going to use Kali and try to hack some VMs I'd recommend setting up a lan segment or have a third VM as a router.  Don't use the 'host only', NAT, or bridged as they will open up the outside world.  If you need to get some updates or software then sure use NAT but once your ready to hack keep it internal to the VMs. 

Thank you for the info! I'll either look into using a VM as a router or just unplug my PC from the network and get a switch to plug everything into, or a cheap router to make a close network with wifi so I can play with some wifi stuff too.