WiFi Pineapple won't connect for initial setup

LeSpatula

I have two WiFi pineapples, both have the same issues. When I connect them I see "Identifying unknown network... " on the screen and the LEDs blinking, and then seconds later "Disconnected" again and the LEDs go dark. Then the loop starts again. I'm never able to browse the setup site. I tried a factory reset without result. I also tried to power it with an external charger and I tried it on different computers.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 12:56 PM, LeSpatula said:

I have two WiFi pineapples, both have the same issues. When I connect them I see "Identifying unknown network... " on the screen and the LEDs blinking, and then seconds later "Disconnected" again and the LEDs go dark. Then the loop starts again. I'm never able to browse the setup site. I tried a factory reset without result. I also tried to power it with an external charger and I tried it on different computers.

sounds like a boot loop. How are you powering it? 12V 2A or USB? did you already try a reset or firmware recovery?

• 2 weeks later...

I was having this same issue; Flickering yellow light then blue and reboot.

I have an aftermarket power adaptor which clearly isn't doing the job on it's own. And the USB Y cable also wasn't able to deliver enough power on it's own either. So I've plugged both in and  then got a solid blue

Also as another clue on my linux machines the USB network adaptor was constantly and immediately connecting/disconnecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Same exact problem here. Out of the box device won't connect to linux, windows or android. I have messaged support at hak5 like literally 5 times and got one responds weeks later giving me some instructions on how to manually set the IP but when I did that and tried to navigate to it it still wouldn't connect. Really disappointing to see this device doesn't work and whats worse is HAK5 don't even seam to care or get back to you on support. I essentially have a $200 brick. Really like their products but very hesitant to spend any more money when I don't even get help for this defective one.

2 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

More information is required to diagnose these kinds of problems. What OS are you running? How are you connecting to the device? How is it being powered? Etc.

Very good info to remember using the forums.

The more info supplied, the better the answer/support received.

10 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

More information is required to diagnose these kinds of problems. What OS are you running? How are you connecting to the device? How is it being powered? Etc.

8 hours ago, trapman16 said:

Very good info to remember using the forums.

The more info supplied, the better the answer/support received.

I gave this to tech support in tickets heaps of times. No response back. Linux mint 19.1, windows 10, kali linux newest version, android latest version. Tried connecting device with provided usb, different usb, different power cable, issued power cable, using only usb cable and trying with both usb and power cable connected. After using ifconfig ethx down then setting the ip manually the device then connects and shows up in ifconfig with the set ip of 172.16.42.42 that was manually put in but trying to navigate to the ip or 172.16.42.1 as in the tutorial on setup and it can't find host. ping 172.16.42.42 get response but on 172.16.42.1 no response. Run nmap on 172.16.42.42 and it comes back as host down and won't show any ports open. 

I am at a loss as to why this device won't connect even for basic setup. I suspect the device is actually faulty. 

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thankyou. 

4 hours ago, Dakotarains said:

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thankyou. 

how are you physically connecting things up? pic?

are you only using the USB to power it or are you using the 12V adapter?

After manually setting up your interface to 172.16.42.42 on your pc did you power cycle the tetra?

So many more variables/questions but just trying to get a better picture.

6 hours ago, Dakotarains said:

Tried connecting device with provided usb, different usb, different power cable, issued power cable, using only usb cable and trying with both usb and power cable connected. After using ifconfig ethx down then setting the ip manually the device then connects and shows up in ifconfig with the set ip of 172.16.42.42

So to verify you are using the tetra port labeled ETH ? 

7 hours ago, Dakotarains said:

Tried connecting device with provided usb, different usb, different power cable, issued power cable, using only usb cable and trying with both usb and power cable connected.

To make sure you are getting proper power, might want to stick with using the supplied 12v adapter and using the USB cable for connection via the ETH port.

7 hours ago, Dakotarains said:

After using ifconfig ethx down then setting the ip manually the device then connects and shows up in ifconfig with the set ip of 172.16.42.42

What is your output of "ifconfig" after connecting the usb cable before changing any address settings?  Posting the output will help figure out if the system is actually seeing the tetra.  As the setup instructions show https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010555313-Setup-Basics most systems for basic setup don't need a static IP assigned as the tetra will assign one (there are times it is required but would try without doing so first).

On 8/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, Just_a_User said:

how are you physically connecting things up? pic?

are you only using the USB to power it or are you using the 12V adapter?

After manually setting up your interface to 172.16.42.42 on your pc did you power cycle the tetra?

So many more variables/questions but just trying to get a better picture.

I am connecting it up exactly as described in the setup tutorials.

I have tried usb power witht eh duel usb cable on its own and with the 12v power adapter supplied. I even used other adapters. I power cycle the tetra and when it reconnects it automatically reassigns it that same IP I set. I tried to wirelessly connect to pineapple also with no luck. 

On 8/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, trapman16 said:

So to verify you are using the tetra port labeled ETH ? 

To make sure you are getting proper power, might want to stick with using the supplied 12v adapter and using the USB cable for connection via the ETH port.

What is your output of "ifconfig" after connecting the usb cable before changing any address settings?  Posting the output will help figure out if the system is actually seeing the tetra.  As the setup instructions show https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010555313-Setup-Basics most systems for basic setup don't need a static IP assigned as the tetra will assign one (there are times it is required but would try without doing so first).

Yes I am using the eth 1 port on the back. I have used usb cable and 12v adapter together, usb on its own and alternate usb with adapter and even different adapter. All no luck. The tetra doesn't automatically assign and IP for me. It just continually loops with ''connecting'' then ''could not connect'' then repeating that loop indefinitely. 

2 hours ago, Dakotarains said:

The tetra doesn't automatically assign and IP for me. It just continually loops with ''connecting'' then ''could not connect'' then repeating that loop indefinitely. 

can you reach the uboot recovery page by doing a Firmware recovery?

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

On 8/23/2019 at 4:34 PM, Just_a_User said:

can you reach the uboot recovery page by doing a Firmware recovery?

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

you sir...are a genius! I did the firmware recovery and it was taking forever to finish so I opened my phone and tried to connect wirelessly to the pineapple and it worked! The setup screen came up for the first time! When I unplugged the pineapple and stuck it back in it connected pretty much straight away and even assigned its own IP and would now come up automatically with a netmask. Maybe the netmask was the problem? Anyway I finished the setup and can now use the pineapple although I can't connect to the open wifi for some reason but can connect to the management wifi connection and remote manage.

So this looks like it might be a fix for everyone else too so can we spread the word or get others to try it to see if it works for them too?

Many thanks again to you and everyone else who helped out! You guys are legends! 

• 2 years later...

I'm trying this in Win10 just to get it running. When I get to the part about the ip address change, is it just the standard wifi connection my pc has in network options? Or should it be showing up as a different connection? 

Archived